This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

I’ve been in and out of several different dorm rooms. There’s always been something in common. It’s not similar bedspreads, or the same decorative carpets, or the same posters. It’s DIY wall art! More specifically, it’s melted crayon art.

Melted crayon art seems to be all the rage in college dorms this year. It’s simple, cheap, and easily adds a blast of color to those boring, white cement walls. I made one for my room and it automatically helped add some color into my world. Want to make your own DIY crayon art? Follow these simple instructions:

What you need:

·         Newspaper

·         Hair dryer

·         Canvas

·         Crayons

·         Hot glue gun

·         Hot glue sticks

What you need to do:

1.       Buy your supplies. Go to your local craft store for everything you need! Hint: Buy more crayons if your canvas is bigger. The crayons have to cover a whole side of the canvas

2.       Cover your work area in lots of newspaper. You don’t want any wax from the crayons melting to get on your carpet!

3.       Get your crayons and hot glue them in whatever order you like along the perimeter of one side of your canvas. Have the point of the crayon point downwards and the flat end of the crayon along the edge.

4.       Once the glue is dry, lean the canvas against the wall. On high heat, take the hair dryer and use it to melt the crayons. The wax should drip its way down to the bottom of the canvas. Tip: Don’t let the hair dryer get too close to the crayons or else the crayon will melt too much or warp!

5.       Let the canvas dry.

See? It’s so simple; it’s only five steps. I finished mine in less than ten minutes. Want to know more ways to DIY decorate your dorm room? Stay tuned for more.