This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

As October ends, it is time to start thinking about the season of giving. One way you can give is through the Christmas Seals. 

The Christmas Seals was started in 1907 when the leading cause of death was tuberculosis in the United States. One sanatorium in Delaware, where treatment for tuberculosis looked promising, was having trouble staying open because it was too expensive.

Emily Bissell, a cousin to one of the doctors from this sanatorium, and set up a fundraiser for the sanatorium. She designed holiday seals for letters and sold them at the post office. President Roosevelt ended up endorsing the campaign and more than enough money was raised to keep the sanitorium open. 

Throughout the years, the campaign grew and began to raise money for other respiratory diseases and today many organizations use this method to raise money and awareness; however, the Christmas Seals campaign is unique to the American Lung Association. 

To receive Christmas Seals, all you have to do is donate a minimum of $10 by November 29.

To make a donation or to learn more visit https://www.lung.org/get-involved/ways-to-give/christmas-seals

HCXO, 

Nakiah 

Nakiah Baker

Millersville '23

Nakiah is a sophomore transfer student from Messiah College, now attending Millersville University. She is majoring in Secondary Education with a concentration in English. Her hobbies include reading, writing, hanging out with friends and family, and exercising.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3