This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

It is now T-9 days until the last day of school for the semester. The last day for some until August rolls around again and for others, the end of a long educational path. Or if you are like me, the end of an era of living in Pennsylvania for 20.5 years. In today’s article, I will be revisiting important memories, saying goodbye to a crazy ride at MU and manifesting my bright future ahead. Friends, it’s been a ride for us all. Take some time to pat yourselves on the back and exhale deeply. Raise your glasses as we make a toast to a new start. . . 

Memories

I remember junior year of high school I did NOT want to switch schools. I moved around for what seemed like every year whether it be just houses or school districts as well. Switching schools when you’re almost done was hard for me. I’m sure some of you experienced leaving behind your favorite pals at some point. Well, I was leaving behind the school district I was in the longest. I had a name for myself there, I learned from mistakes, and was given so many opportunities. What I realize now is that I was getting an even better chance to make a name for myself somewhere new. A couple of months after starting, I received an honorable award in which I received a medallion for excellence. That same year I got to play my 2nd favorite character (Templeton the Rat) in a performing arts production (Charlotte’s Web). The lesson I learned from this is that networking is a key part of your success. Thank you, Hillary Martin and Jen Buck, for keeping my spirits alive through that hard year and a half.  

I want to say goodbye to the place that brings most of my fondest memories: Nanny’s house. She lived at that place in Leola my entire life and even before then. When it was time for Santa to come, we made Christmas cookies as a family. Peter Cottontail hoppin’ down the bunny trail? We would color eggs and Nanny would always pickle eggs and beets. Bored and didn’t know what to do or where to go? Let’s go to Nanny’s house and watch AFV. Even in the last few days that she will be there, my favorite time with her is when I connect my phone to the TV, and we watch funny fail videos. I am going to miss that odd scent her house always had. I am going to miss the memories I made with my uncle there who sadly passed away from colon cancer some time ago. I am going to miss the beginning of Days of Our Lives playing and looking strangely at the hourglass. I will miss Christmas mornings, Thanksgiving dinners and birthday celebrations. I will miss Nanny’s house. I only hope that her new house will bring her more peace and good-will. Thanks for being my childhood home. 

The Start of success

Millersville University, a place I was destined to study at, will always have a place in my heart. I visited MU to run 5ks with Girls on the Run in elementary school, for class trips in middle school, Track and Field “open throws” events in high school, as a prospective Tell School of Music student, and now as a freshman undergraduate student studying Speech Communication. My first year of college had lots of downs, but equally as many ups as well. I joined Her Campus which became my safe place, I did some acting with a pretty cool theatre club, experienced college level marching band, and best of all worked with the President of MU, Dr. Daniel A. Wubah, who constantly encouraged me to persevere and keep up with my studies. Despite having to call the dorms my “real” home, being financially unstable, and in a terrible mental state, I managed to finish out my freshman year strong. Millersville, you helped shape my future a bit better. You showed me that adulting can be rough and scary, but also very rewarding. I only hope you do the same for others like you did for me. 

Manifestations

To my future waiting for my arrival in my new state, please be patient and kind as I adjust to a completely different area. Don’t be too soft on me though because I need to keep myself on my toes. Guide me to only the things that are positively beneficial to my overall well-being and success. Please give me reassurance in my time of need that I did make an amazing decision. 

To my new school, thank you for giving me the opportunity to transfer to you. Thank you for focusing on my success during, but especially after I graduate. To all the people I will meet there, I hope you will be important in my networking system.

Finally, to that unbelievably and amazingly special someone in my life. May this opportunity strengthen the connection we already have. May we grow maturely together and live healthy and happy lives. You have been such an inspiration to me, and I am forever grateful to know and have you. Never forget that you are talented, smart, beautiful and an achiever. You really do truly make my understanding of life even clearer and better. I cannot wait to share our dreams together as a team. Nobody is as lucky as I am because I have you. You are truly my twin flame and as your favorite language says : “ich liebe dich”. Forever and after as we like to say, right bubu? 

Thank you to everyone who encouraged me to express myself more through writing. Thank you to those who continue to push me to success. Thank you all for everything. This is Ace Freed signing off for a bit. Chase your dreams. Cheers. 

Ace Freed

Millersville '26

Ace Freed is a freshman at Millersville University. They will be debuting their creative work starting this fall at MUHC! Ace studies Speech Communication Theatre and hopes to make it to Broadway. Currently, Ace is our chapter's VP and Editor in Chief. Check out their work!