Black Friday: Your Personal Guide to the Best Steals and Deals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

It’s that time of year again. Spending hours in the kitchen preparing a gigantic dinner complete with all the sides and desserts. You have to give up your bed during your entire break so Grandma Gertie can get a good night’s rest (as if we sleep-deprived college students don’t need it more). We put up with family members that we only see once a year, and maybe even (yikes!) crazy in-laws. Yup, you guessed it. Thanksgiving is right around the corner.

We collegiette’s™ know that Thanksgiving doesn’t end after that last piece of Mom’s famous apple crumb pie is eaten. Nope, we all know that we have to get to bed early so we can get up at 3AM for one of the biggest holidays of the year that happens to be the day after Thanksgiving – Black Friday shopping.

But where to begin? You can hit your local mall, shop around some discount warehouses, check out the outlets, or, if you’re brave enough, venture into the extreme chaos of the King of Prussia Mall (I made the mistake of doing that once, and I can guarantee I won’t do it again). For this week’s edition of events to check out over the weekend, I’m going switch it up and bit and treat you with your own personal Black Friday shopping guide! I’m going to feature several different departments, and what stores have the greatest deals. No more guessing and waiting in line for disappointing sales. I’ll tell you exactly where you need to go.

[pagebreak]

Clothes

Let’s not kid ourselves here – we all love clothes. The only problem is affording new ones as a broke college student. Trust me, I know exactly how it feels to have to wear that same party shirt over and over again – so frustrating. Perhaps you can hit up a few of these stores and pick out a new weekend shirt – or maybe two or three at these prices!

Target is a hidden gem. I love going to this store any time of the year with all of their cute shoes, bathing suits, coats, dresses, tops and jeans. Their prices are normally very reasonable, so imagine how inexpensive they’ll be on Black Friday! Tees starting at $5, sweaters at $10 and jackets at $15, there’s no doubt you’ll find some good deals. Get here at 12 a.m. for the store’s opening!

Another great clothing store, I’ve been shopping here for as long as I can remember. This store is offering anywhere from 40-70% off regularly priced clothing items such as sweaters, leggings, jeans, shoes and winter accessories. Also opens at 12 a.m. on Black Friday.

I get it – you’re tired of all those annoying commercials, but it’ll be worth putting up with them for these Black Friday sales. With winter jackets as low as $25, yoga pants at $15, v-necks at $5 and henleys at $8, how can you resist? Beat the crowds, as Old Navy opens at 12 a.m.

[pagebreak]

Electronics & Entertainment

So, maybe you’re like me and, after a few years of hard use, your computer is beginning to fail out on you. Or maybe you want to pick up some new DVDs for movie night or a CD or two for a  Christmas gift. A few of these stores have some great deals for you to check out.

Yes, I know the horror stories of all the strange people at Walmart in the odd hours of the night. I myself try and avoid this spot when possible. But during Black Friday, I wouldn’t mind stopping in for a few necessities – prices are plummeting. Maybe you can get your boyfriend that new Xbox 360 he’s been wanting for only $200. Or score a new 8g iPod touch for only $195. Need a new computer? HP laptops are starting at a mere $300, with other brands around the same price. Tons of digital cameras under $200. Only want to stop in for a DVD or some music? Much of the entertainment supply is under $10 – I know I’ll be there to check it out. Opens 10 p.m. Thanksgiving night with these awesome steals.

I really don’t need to elaborate much on this one. Apple iPhone 4S for only $100 with new activation, and Mac computers anywhere from $50-$200 off retail price. Haven’t gotten around to getting that new Blu-Ray player yet? Pick one up here for $35. Of course, don’t forget to check out the steals on TVs, laptops and cameras. Opens at midnight on Black Friday.

[pagebreak]

Online Shopping

Still not convinced to wake up in the wee hours of the morning to fight the crowds for shopping? Yeah, I can’t blame you. Luckily, you don’t have to get out of bed for these deals. Grab your laptop and click away in the comfort of your own bed.

Seems like this website couldn’t wait for Black Friday – their sales have already started! Each day as a countdown, they offer “daily deals,” which are crazy steals on different electronics, games, movies and other popular buys. (Sign up here for the daily deal emails!) You can save over 50% on the mentioned items. Movies and music are up to 80% off too! Prices are expected to go even lower on the actual shopping day. Act fast, because supplies are limited.

While trying to compete with Amazon, Overstock also decided to make the jump and start the discounts early with a countdown. Each day, Overstock features a redline deal which is only good for that day. Linens, housewares, clothing, shoes – you name it. There’s a sale. Shipping is even discounted, so act fast!

[pagebreak]

There you have it – your personal guide to planning out your Black Friday adventure. There’ s something out there for anyone, whether they prefer to spend their paycheck on video games as opposed to clothing. You don’t even have to leave your house if you don’t want to – just hop online, do your shopping and go back to sleep. Piece of cake. Didn’t see your favorite store here or looking for some more killer deals? Check out this website for more Black Friday sales! Good luck, be safe, and happy hunting!

Sources:
www.blackfriday.info/sales/

Amber Strazzo

Millersville

Amber Strazzo was born in Queens, NY, but raised in Lancaster, PA. She is currently a Senior at Millersville University, studying Public Relations and Journalism. Amber is the Vice President of Programs of the Xi Tau chapter of Delta Zeta, and is very active in Greek life on her campus. She's a self-proclaimed social media junkie, and loves shopping, her Nook and catching up episodes of Pretty Little Liars. After college, Amber plans to head south for grad school for student affairs.