This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

How did Ashley Harmon, this year’s Miss Millersville, feel when she was announced as the winner of the competition held in February?

“I remember looking at my escort Steve and saying “Did they just call my name?” Ashley said.”  He laughed and pushed me forward to go accept the award. I was just extremely proud to bring the title home to such a great organization!”

Ashley first found out about Miss Millersville before coming to campus as an incoming freshman.

“I thought it was a fun event to be a part of and was hoping at some point in my career as a student here I might get to participate.”

She wanted to participate because she thought it was a great fundraiser for organizations on campus.

“It’s not a competition about looks at all! It’s about the confidence and presence a girl has onstage,” Ashley said. “I also wanted to compete because I am so proud to be a member of ACMO and wanted to give back to them by representing them in this competition.”

Ashley represented the All Campus Musical Organization (ACMO) and sang “Let’s Hear it For the Boy” by Deniece Williams.

“I practiced my talent by myself every week until the competition,” Ashley explained. After winter break, all the contestants and organizers met every Wednesday for an hour to learn the opening number as well as to get all of the details together for the competition.

“It was a lot of hard work, and I don’t think people realize how much work went into it behind the scenes on the part of Kim Landis and her whole Miss Millersville team!”

“My entire cast from BARE came to see the competition and so many other members of ACMO, friends, and even some family members from Pittsburgh. It felt great to be supported.”

Ashley explained that there were 13 girls this year, which was the most that the event has ever had compete.

According to the elementary/special education major, during the competition it was all about having fun.

“I made so many friends that I probably wouldn’t have met otherwise and I thought everyone was fabulous,” the SHARP Team member said. “All of our hard work had come to an end and it was time to go out there, represent our organizations to the best of our ability, and most importantly, just have fun!”

“I can only hope the event continues to have success and continues to grow for years to come. It is a fabulous fundraiser and is a great time for everyone involved! I’m excited to see what they put together!”

Amber Strazzo

Millersville

Amber Strazzo was born in Queens, NY, but raised in Lancaster, PA. She is currently a Senior at Millersville University, studying Public Relations and Journalism. Amber is the Vice President of Programs of the Xi Tau chapter of Delta Zeta, and is very active in Greek life on her campus. She's a self-proclaimed social media junkie, and loves shopping, her Nook and catching up episodes of Pretty Little Liars. After college, Amber plans to head south for grad school for student affairs.