Career

An Exciting New Chapter: Teaching Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

The next chapter for me is just around the corner, as well as a ton of other seniors. As a future teacher, there is a lot of excitement and nerves going into this new phase of life. I am more excited than anything, as I have known I have wanted to be a teacher since I was 5 years old and playing school in my basement. There are 5 big excitements that I am so looking forward to on this next part of my journey.

1. Making connections with students

I am so excited to grow and bond with my future students as a teacher. I had a lot of teachers in my life that I really admired and looked up to growing up and I want to be that inspiring person for my future students. I am excited to see what my first real class will be like and who they will become far after their days with me are over.

2. Having my own classroom

This is one of the most exciting parts of becoming a teacher, finally having your own classroom! All of that work on your Pinterest board coming to life is one of the things I am most looking forward to. Even just having a classroom to call my own is going to be so rewarding. I can’t wait to see how it all comes together!

3. Meeting my colleagues

I am really excited to start building a bond with my future colleagues and having friends at work that are supportive and kind. I am excited to gain new ideas from them and to work together to give our students the best education they can have. I am looking forward to building these connections and having work friends that I want to hangout with outside of school!

4. Putting in my own twist

As a teacher you typically have a curriculum and lessons you have to follow but it is also something that you can add your own twist to. I am excited to work with my lessons to see what I can do to make it more hands on and enjoyable for the kids. As a STEM minor, I love those hands on experiences and I feel as though the students retain more information from them as well. I am looking forward to seeing what I can do to further those experiences for my own students and put a twist on the curriculum and lesson plans when teaching in my own classroom.

5. Finally becoming a teacher

This is my biggest excitement, finally just becoming a teacher. All of the hard work in college, hours and time I have put in, all of the tears and excitement have led me to that moment. Becoming a positive and hardworking teacher for students that really deserve it is one of the aspects I am most looking forward to.

Becoming a teacher has been a long time coming and has involved a lot of hard work, but now that it is at the tips of my fingers I am so excited to see where it takes me. Whether you are studying to become a teacher, nurse, doctor, lawyer or anything in between, I hope you are excited about your future career, because if you set your mind to it and work hard, you deserve to be excited for all that you have accomplished so far and what you will accomplish in the future.

HCXO, Sami

Sami Cordner

Millersville '22

My name is Sami Cordner and I am a senior Early Childhood Education major with a minor in STEM at Millersville University graduating in December 2022. I have been dancing for 19 years and recently accepted a position as a dance teacher! I also enjoy cooking, shopping, writing, reading and spending time with the people I love the most. My favorite articles to write are about relationships, experiences and lifestyle! After college I hope to become a 2nd or 3rd grade teacher!