This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you’ve got a travel bug. I’ve mentioned this before in a previous article, but my happiest times are when I’m visiting other places. With that being said, one of my favorite places in the world is New York City, and I had one of the best days I’ve had in my life there this past weekend. 

✈️ Related: In “Plane” Sight: Reestablishing My Younger Self’s Dreams

I’ve been going to NYC regularly since 2015, but the first time I went was back in 2007. I went with my grandmother, my mom, and our friends to see the Radio City Christmas Spectacular and visit the giant Toys“R”Us in Times Square. I didn’t know it then, but this memory was influential for two reasons. First, it was my very first visit to what would become my favorite place, and second, it became one of my favorite memories with my grandmother, who did unfortunately pass away the following summer. Now, every time I’m in the city, I think fondly of her.

In 2015, my parents brought my sister and I back to the city to see two Broadway shows. I had been back a couple of times to go to the American Girl Place (a store in which I still sometimes venture for childhood nostalgia), but this was the first time I have a strong memory of being there. We saw The Phantom of the Opera (which unfortunately just closed after 35 years on Broadway) and Wicked. I was hooked on Broadway from there, and have seen sixteen different shows in the eight years since.

My mom, sister and I used to travel to Manhattan oftentimes in the summer to attend the Broadway in Bryant Park events. I’ve asked for and received Broadway tickets for birthdays and holidays. I’ve even been fortunate enough to see a few shows through school.

When it came time to pursue college, I looked at a handful of schools in New York City. Due to a number of reasons, these schools weren’t the best fit for me, but I still loved the vibes of the city and I visit as often as I can.

One of the clubs here at Millersville (shout out to the University Activities Board) runs a trip to NYC every year. I went both this year and last year, and both of the days were some of my favorites.  In March, for my 21st birthday, my mom and I came to see Aaron Tveit in Moulin Rouge). And just this past Sunday, my best friend and I came into the city together, and it was one of my favorite days of my life.

We took the bus from our hometown, and once we arrived in the city we headed to Chelsea. We spent some time walking around the flea market and then the regular market, before heading to the Cornelia Street, a dream of mine since 2019 as a Taylor Swift fan. We took our time walking down Bleecker Street towards Cornelia Street and peeking into all the shops. 

Once we finished, we had a while before we had to be back in Midtown. So, we headed towards Washington Square Park. It was a sunny, 70 degree Sunday, and the park was filled with college students, families, kids and people alike. There was live music and vendors and the vibes were simply no less than immaculate. I felt a joy sitting there that I can only remember feeling once before, when I was sitting on a rock in Golden, Colorado. I don’t have the words to explain it, but I felt so comfortable, real and alive in that moment, and it was in that moment when I decided I really, truly would love to live in NYC.

The day was only half over though, and we had tickets to a Broadway show in Midtown. We headed back on the subway (using the Waverly Place station, may I add), and headed back to 42nd Street before heading to the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre for the 3:00 p.m. matinee of Parade. Following the incredible show, we ate at Gayle’s Broadway Rose and finished out our day at Magnolia’s Bakery before we caught our bus back.

The day itself was absolutely exceptional, and I wish I could live in it forever. The company of my best friend made the day perfect, and it was so nice to get to spend that extended time with her. We’ve known each other since birth, and she has been the best lifelong friend I could have ever asked for and I am so grateful to know her.

I’m counting down the days until I can feel the magic of the city again, and my friend and I are already making plans for another trip once summer hits. To live in the city that never sleeps would be a dream, and it is one that I very dearly hope comes true. 

Katherine McLaughlin

Millersville '23

Katie is currently completing her last semester at Millersville University, with a major in Digital Communication and Cultural Studies and a minor in Creative Writing and Publishing. Katie loves listening to music, traveling, riding rollercoasters, reading, hanging out with friends, family, and her dog, and writing for fun!