This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

What do you think of when you hear the term fifth year? Many people will begin to make assumptions almost immediately. Some will assume that the student didn’t try hard enough, did not earn good grades, or maybe they had too much fun. I will be honest, a few years ago when I was in class with fifth-year students, I made this same assumption. I always wondered why they hadn’t graduated yet, and why they did not try as hard as other students. Looking back at my younger self, I am ashamed that I ever made these assumptions. 

As I begin my fifth year at Millersville, I now know what those lingering eyes feel like. I also know that not every student’s path to a degree will look the same. Some students may be self-supporting, some may struggle in their courses, and others may have not been able to complete the required number of classes to graduate in four years. 

At the start of my freshman year, I was determined to graduate in under four years. I worked as hard as possible, some may say too hard, to make this goal a reality. I did not take either a summer session or a winter session off. I had a goal to reach, and I wanted to accomplish it as soon as possible. However, I decided that I wanted to go to law school after I graduated from Millersville University. Law school only admits in the Fall, so I decided to stay and complete a full four years. I did not want to have a several-month gap between Millersville and law school. At the very end of the Fall 2022 semester, I suffered from a fall, that led to a very bad knee injury. I was absolutely devastated. The week before finals I found out that I was going to have to have an extensive knee reconstruction surgery. However, I have severe knee problems, so my recovery time would take longer than others. I knew that I would be unable to drive, so I would not be able to complete my degree in the spring, as I had planned to do. Only one of my required courses was offered online, so I took that class, while in extensive rehab. I also found out that my senior seminar would not be offered until the Spring 2024 semester. I had no other choice than to stay for another academic year. 

When I began school this semester, I was embarrassed about what people would think of me. I did not want to be viewed in a certain way, or to be judged for being a “super senior”. However, I have learned that not one person is the same. Why should I have to worry about being viewed differently, just because it will take me longer to graduate? I know that I am working just as hard as other students and that I had a major roadblock in both my degree and my life. I am also blessed to have a fantastic support group behind me. They are always there to pick me up (sometimes literally) when I fall, and I am forever grateful to them. 

The key is to never be ashamed of your journey. 

Alexandria Frantz

Millersville '24

Hello! My name is Alexandria Frantz and I am a Senior at Millersville University. I am majoring in History and I have a minor in International Studies. In my free time, I love to crochet, travel, read, and spend time with friends and family!