This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

If you’re like many college students, taking care of yourself is hard enough without adding in responsibility for anyone or anything else. For students looking to indulge their caregiver tendencies or enhance their living space, you’re in luck. There are lots of easy-to-care-for plants that you can grow even if you don’t have a green thumb.

Pothos

Pothos was the first houseplant I ever had, so I may be biased, but they are awesome! It doesn’t matter if you have a green thumb or not, these plants are nearly impossible to kill. They thrive in shade and can be planted in soil or they can survive in water. They are perfect beginner plants and are super cute to give as gifts!

Snake Plant

The snake plant is a type of succulent that is great for smaller areas like offices and bedrooms. It naturally filters the air around it and removes pollutants like CO2 and allergens that are in the air, making it a great plant for students with indoor allergies. The snake plant can be found in many sizes making it the perfect size for any space.

Spider PLant

The spider plant is a wonderful option for people who are looking to have an easy-to-care-for hanging plant. These plants are very difficult to kill because they thrive in all environments, whether potted on the ground or hanging and have been shown to increase mental health. They also spout baby plants all the time, which is adorable in my opinion! 

ZZ Plant

The ZZ plant is a great option for people who do not have house pets. While it is toxic to our furry friends, this houseplant is great for a college dorm. It is an incredible air filter that constantly consumes CO2, even during the night. It also is a slow-growing plant that at full size will only be around 2 feet tall.

Fittonia

The fittonia, also called the nerve plant, is a striking indoor plant that stands out from the others. With intricate leaves and colors, this plant is perfect for people who want an eye-catcher. The veins in the leaves of this plant can be pink, white, red or green and will be brightest when in full sun. Be careful to not overwater this plant, or it might lead to root rot.

Bamboo Palm

is known not only for its calming look but also for being a great filter, especially for people living in cities. The bamboo palm filters many chemicals out of the air, including toluene which is commonly produced by gasoline from cars and from smoking tobacco. This plant is also said to remove negativity from a space and bring good luck to all who are around it.

HCXO, Charlotte

Charlotte Molitoris

Millersville '23

Charlotte is part of the Millersville Her Campus chapter and is currently on the board as the philanthropy chair. She is a senior at Millersville University and is majoring in sociology with a concentration in criminology and a minor in gerontology. She spends her free time listening to music and hanging out with her dog, Maxi.