This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

I hurt my foot a couple weeks ago due to a weird incident involving a wretched head cold and a poorly positioned stool. While I have been able to walk short distances, I have not been able to do much physical activity aside from that. That means no long walks with my boyfriend and no fun hikes. And all of this happens during one of my favorite times of the year: fall! The leaves are changing colors, the sun’s golden rays are peeking out from behind the clouds, the outdoor temperatures are perfectly balanced between cozy and crisp, all while I’m stuck inside.

It’s not all bad, though. With fewer distractions, I have been staying on top of my schoolwork amazingly well, even with the wave of midterm projects that typically blindsides me each year. I have also had time to rewatch some Gilmore Girls episodes for the eight billionth time, and it’s the quintessential show to go along with this season. In fact, if it had to happen, I suppose I am grateful it happened now (but still…).

Anyway, to cope with my cabin fever, I’m going to tell you about five of my favorite fall activities that I wish I could be doing today.

1. Fall Festivals

Fall festivals are some of my favorite events of the year, period. There’s always amazing food – at least in this small bite of the country – plus there are so many fun things to do! All you have to do is mention hayrides, pumpkin pie, or a craft show, and I’m in!

2. Hiking

This goes hand in hand with the changing leaves I was talking about earlier. I love walks and hikes through the forest all year long, but fall is the best season of all for them! It’s not too hot, not too cold; perfect sweater weather! Also, is there anything better than the way the woods look, smell, and sound as you crunch through them in the autumn, with half the leaves on the branches and half on the ground?

3. basketball & other outdoor games

I know not everyone is a fan of sports, but I love a good casual game of basketball, especially in this weather! Plus, if you don’t like playing sports, you can always catch a football game on a Friday night! If none of that sounds fun, try your hand at a simple game of cornhole.

4. Visiting farmers’ markets

This goes along with the food thing again. In my defense, the food from this time of year really is some of the finest available all year round. Apple cider, anyone? Also, you can usually find some adorable knit hats and gloves as it begins turning chilly.

5. Corn mazes

There’s just something about a corn maze that takes me right back to my childhood! Going on an adventure and getting lost with friends cannot be hyped up too much. Bonus points if you go after dark and use flashlights to find your way!

I hope you enjoyed reading this article as much as I enjoyed writing it, and that you get to do all your favorite fall activities this season! I’ll be doing mine soon enough! For now, I’m off to take a very short walk because the weather is gorgeous today. 😉

HCXO,

Autumn

Autumn Schmoel

Millersville '23

Hi! I'm Autumn, a senior at Millersville University majoring in business administration and minoring in entrepreneurship. I’m also the bonding coordinator for Millersville’s chapter of Her Campus. I love reading, writing, and crafting (you name it)!