What to Do at the Beach When You Hate the Ocean

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Introduction

It’s no secret that going to the beach is a staple vacation for a lot of people. The sun on your face the sand in your… everywhere, but when it comes to the actual ocean part of the trip you can count me out. It’s not that I hate the concept of the ocean, far from it. I think it is beautiful and vast, with a thriving ecosystem that has yet to be fully explored. If you think I going for a swim though, you are wrong. Still, going to the beach is a favorite for so many people, so what happens when you get there and swimming is just not an option? You could always be like me and contemplate the reality of life… and why jellyfish exist. What do they even do? If you want a real list though, I have you covered.

Look for Seashells

No beach trip is complete without a walk to find the perfect seashell to look at and then forget in your basement for the next 7 years. People choose their favorite shells for a multitude of reasons. From color, to shape, to the first one that stabs you in the foot when you are walking, each shell has a special connection with the person that found it. I may like blue shells and you may like pink, but either way, we are causing a housing crisis for hermit crabs. Usually, you will find shells all over the sandy ground, or if you’re me, one will be chucked at your head and then you get a nasty cut that will last for a week (yes, this actually happened to me). 

You don’t need to look for seashells to go on a lovely beach walk though. When you take mid-afternoon walks on the beach you tend to see more than you bargained for. You’ll see silly little people in their silly little bathing suits and some sunburns that really should be checked out by medical professionals. Letting the chilly water hit my ankles is about as close as I get to swimming in the ocean, but it is pretty to look at nonetheless. You will know your walk has ended when you realize how incredibly long it’s going to take you to get back to your towel.

Have a Picnic on the Beach with Friends

Cliche or not, having a picnic on the beach with your friends is a wonderful, dry way of enjoying the beach. Pack all your favorite snacks and drinks in cute containers to reach maximum aesthetic pleasure. Once you lay out your towels and put up your umbrella, you are ready for the gossip session of a lifetime. Talk about your life, your aspirations, and goals! Then once you are done talking about all that boring stuff, play a game of “Guess how many sharks are eerily close to the shore right now”. You’ll be sure to make many lasting memories that will be burned into your mind like sun poisoning. 

Make a Sand Castle

Making a sand castle may sound like it just for kids and it probably is, but that won’t stop you from creating you’re little sand citadel. Building a structure completely from sand is definitely going to be the closest I get to being an architect. If you’re normal, you can create a beautiful castle with a deep moat and twig spires. If you’re me though, you will create a dystopian city in the year 4000 where robots have taken over as supreme leaders. The crumbling sand is a commentary on the crumbling government in this futuristic nightmare.

Read a Book/Draw a Picture

For those of us who want to pretend we aren’t in the real world by a horrible, watery death trap, I recommend bringing a book to pass the time. Reading is one of life’s simple pleasures and it may help balance out the chaotic nature that the beach brings. If you are more of an artistic person, however, you may find drawing to be a better distraction. Bring your favorite sketch pad or coloring book and bring your imagination to life. I will be drawing all the marine animals I believe are out to get me. You, however, can draw whatever you’d like.

Outro

There are so many other fun and interesting ways to pass the time at the beach, but I believe this list is a pretty good start. I may not like swimming in the ocean but there are plenty of things that I do enjoy about the chaotic good that is the beach. 

Yours Truly,

Jackie

Jackie Pento

Millersville '26

Hi! My name is Jackie and I am a freshman at Millersville University! I am passionate about music, art, and video games!