Spontaneous Roadtrips: The Best Kind of Therapy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Don’t worry, there will be plenty of road trip gifs throughout this article. 

Let’s set the scene shall we: I had just left the main shipping UPS center to go get a package I had ordered. The package that was returned there rather than to my local UPS. I had driven 40 minutes to go get my package. Now when I say “main shipping”, I mean its size is equivalent is to an airplane hanger. After parking and walking into the center, I waited another 25 minutes while the employees looked through every bin my package could possibly have been in. The employees were nice and really tried even though it was near closing, but to no avail. So I went back to my car, frustrated. After a long day of tests, papers and sporadic sleeping periods, I was not having it. I waited until I was in my car before letting out a scream. You know, not the horror movie kind of scream, but that pure, angry, vocal cord straining scream. Believe me, my voice was hoarse the following day, but I needed a good scream. 

So I began driving back, my epics 80s’ music playlist going and my GPS taking me on an odd route. When I was back in the coral gables-ish area, I turned my GPS off, and as I saw the turn to my apartment coming up, I decided I didn’t want to go home yet and lay in my bed defeated, so I kept driving. No GPS to follow, not club meetings to go to, no tests to study for. Just me and some therapeutic music, courtesy of the 1980s’. 

Most of the time we forget to take care of ourselves. This isn’t a huge thing, but whether with friends or just by yourself, driving can incredibly soothing when you have no real destination. I will always be the biggest fan of Treat Yo Self and one of those ways is to Drive Yo Self.

So go on, hit the road. 

If you need my I’ll be in my car,

Emily 

Courtesy to: https://media.giphy.com/media/xUcmepXMEJWbm/giphy.gif, https://www.theo…