my puppy
my puppy
Original photo by Sari Adler
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Between online school and not being able to do activities I would typically do pre-COVID times, life was getting boring and repetitive. The change was definitely needed! One day, my friend was scrolling through tik tok and saw a dog store that went viral and it just so happened to be a 10-minute drive from our apartment building. Us being impulsive and not thinking about the consequences of what was about to happen, we went to the dog store.

My two other friends and I stepped into the store and I already knew what was going to happen. We all instantly fell in love with this adorable pomsky. He was playful, cute, loving, and everything we thought we needed. We pulled the trigger and decided to buy this dog and went ALL out: beds, toys, food, treats, crates, brushes. You name it, this dog had it. Everyone thought we were crazy (and they were right). We even did research on how we would train the dog and the best ways to care for him.

We got all excited for our first night with Massi (that is what we decided to name the dog), but we did not know what we were in for. From the second we put Massi in his cage to sleep, he was crying and barking non-stop until 6 am: it was torture. I had no clue an animal so cute and so small could make that much noise. My friend called her mom hysterically crying because she had no idea what to do. This only led to more problems because her parents were unaware that she even purchased Massi and they were not too happy about it.

After much deliberation and conversation with our parents, we came to the conclusion that it was better for Massi to find a home where he would be able to be watched over, taken care of, and loved unconditionally- a lot better than a group of college students could. We posted in group chats and Facebook chats if anyone knew someone who would want to take in Massi. Hundreds of people responded saying they would love nothing more than to be able to bring Massi home. We went through each candidate and ultimately decided who would be the best fit to be Massi’s forever family. My friend knew of the girl who wanted him as she had graduated from the University of Miami a year-or-so ago and still lived in the area. She was so excited to take Massi home and it made us happy to see that Massi would be able to live a life much better than any of us could have ever given him.

I think we all learned a lesson from this experience and if you or any of your friends impulsively want to get a dog, I would 100%, absolutely, positively, not recommend it.

Dara Etter

Miami '23

Hey! My name is Dara Etter and I am currently a sophomore at the University of Miami. I am double majoring in Early Childhood Education and Psychology. I grew up in a small suburb right outside of New York City called Tenafly, New Jersey. In my free time, I love spending time with friends, going to the beach, and exploring new places for the best food, clothing, and activities.