This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Welcome to the new normal…. Zoom interviews. It sounds awful, but just like everything else in  life, it is definitely doable! College is a time where you experience a lot of new things, so this is just another one to add to the list. In this case, online interviews are new for everyone; do not let them discourage or scare you!

You finally land an interview for your dream job; here are some tips to ace your Zoom interview:

Make sure you are behind a white background. 

The last thing you want during your Zoom interview is for your interviewer to be distracted by what’s behind you. With a solid background, the interviewer will have no distractions and can focus on just you and what you are saying!

Make sure you are in a quiet setting. 

This may seem pretty obvious but again, you do not want any distractions. If you are living with your roommates, quickly text them that you’re in an interview and they’ll keep quiet for a bit. Trust me, Zoom picks up EVERYTHING. 

Treat it like an in person interview.

I suggest you get dressed like you would for an in person interview. This way, your mindset is in “interview mode”. Many people put on a professional top, but wear comfy pants. However, in order to make it feel more like an interview, dress exactly how you would as if it were in person!

Be energetic and act like you are happy to be there. 

On Zoom, it’s very hard to get to know a person’s personality. It’s also very easy to come across as a boring person on Zoom. With that being said, be a little more energetic and enthusiastic so you look like you actually care about  this job. The last thing an interviewer wants to do is to interview someone who is boring and doesn’t want to be there. So, act like it’s your dream job and be a little more enthusiastic than usual, because some of it may get lost while doing virtual.

Online interviews are new to everyone, but if you want to stand out, follow these simple steps because they go a long way!

Hey! My name is Rachel Ramnarine and I'm from New Jersey. I live in Central Jersey so I'm pretty close to NYC and the shore! I have two siblings, and an adorable dog! I am a current sophomore studying communication at The University of Miami. In my free time, I love to go to the beach with my friends and spend time with my family! I have always loved writing but have been intimidated at times, however, I am so excited to be writing for Her Campus!