Groupon is a UMiami Student’s Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

No matter how hard we try to save money by eating at the dining hall instead of the food court, going a few days without Starbucks or searching for the best Thursday night drink specials, let’s face it: we, as college kids, are perpetually broke. Perhaps the money you made as a camp counselor did not last as long as you hoped. Maybe you tried to find an on-campus job, but that can be difficult. But have no fear, because Groupon is here to save the day.

The online coupon vender negotiates major deals with popular businesses in the area and notifies you of the new discounts every day via email. You can edit your information to get deals specific to your preferences, or you can opt to get everything applicable in the Miami area. With iPhone and Android mobile apps, one simple click can save you 50-90 percent off anything from spa treatments to restaurants and even pole dance classes.

Spring break is quickly approaching, which is unfortunate for those students who still haven’t decided on a plan of action. Once again, the superhero that is Groupon is on your side. Along with a daily email of local deals, Groupon also sends out “Groupon Getaway” packages that include all-inclusive trips to the islands, bargains for luxurious resorts, and even cheap hotel offerings in the area.

Groupon is hassle free and promises to return your purchase if anything goes wrong. This reliability makes shopping with them easy.

“Even my first Groupon purchase was easy. I found an amazing deal, bought it, and received a confirmation right away,” freshman Matt Trotto said.

With just a few clicks on a keyboard or punches into your smart phone your effortless shopping experience will be complete. The best part is that you’ll have saved enough cash to go to the Grove this Thursday.

Jackie Salo is a freshman at the University of Miami School of Communication. Currently, she writes for The Miami Hurricane. In high school, she was the Editor-in-Chief of the school newspaper The Courant. The paper won various awards such as the 2009 American Scholastic Press Association's Best Newspaper First Place with Special Merit award, the only paper in the Northeast to do so. Jackie has had work published in The Long Island Press, and Boating Times Long Island where she interned. She was the Quill Awards Most Outstanding Journalist of the Year and was the only high school student to be recognized by News Channel 12 for High School Journalist of the Year.