The YouTube Music Awards: An Internet Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.
With the quick progression of the World Wide Web and social media sites in the past few years, it was only a matter of time before the Internet sponsored its own award show. On November 3rd, the first ever YouTube Music Awards streamed globally on the infamous video sharing website, and millions of viewers tuned in to watch the action unfold.

Unlike most award shows, the awards were based entirely on viewers’ votes and selections. While many A-list celebrities were present, several YouTube artists, actors, and notable figures joined the mix of nominees. Actor Jason Schwartzmann and comedian Reggie Watts hosted the show, and the two proved to be quite the eccentric duo. The pair decided against a written script for the program, so they relied almost entirely on improvisation to captivate the crowds. Hilary Hughes, a reporter from USA Today stated, “They did great! They had no script and they were completely unprepared, and they were kind of proud of that. They wanted the awards to be spontaneous and unpredictable.” While some of their jokes and puns may have gotten lost amidst the commotion, the crowds’ reaction towards the Schwartzmann and Watts was positive.

The show contained a chaotic lineup of musical numbers, award presentations, and live imitations of music videos. Lady Gaga gave an emotional piano performance of her latest song “Dope,” and Eminem’s impeccable performance of “Rap God” has received extensive praise from bloggers and YouTube viewers. Other small acts were squeezed in between before commercial breaks, including a performance by indie rock band Arcade Fire and a techno violin solo by Lindsey Stirling.

Aside from the numerous acts of entertainment, the main focus, of course, were the award winners. Eminem was crowned artist of the year, and rightfully so after a spectacular live performance. “YouTube Breakthrough of the Year” was awarded to Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, and Taylor Swift’s “I Knew You Were Trouble” snagged the title of “YouTube Phenomenon”. Furthermore, violinist Lindsey Sterling and a cappella sensation Pentatonix were awarded “Response of the Year” for their collaborative cover of Imagine Dragon’s “Radioactive.” The biggest surprise of all, however, was when South Korean pop band Girls’ Generation trumped Macklemore’s “Same Love” and Lady Gaga’s “Applause,” snagging the top spot for “Video of the Year” for their hit single, “I Got a Boy”.

Overall, the show was a fun and interactive live-streaming success for spectators and nominees alike. Although some things did not go according to plan, YouTube’s first awards ceremony provided a great source of entertainment for loyal subscribers and viewers.

Junior Journalism & Marketing double major at Miami University. MU Fashion Public Relations. Sister of the Chi Omega Fraternity.