Your Guide to Career Services at Miami

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

No doubt you’ve heard of it before, but have you really checked it out? Miami University’s Career Services department is dedicated to helping students just like you! They want to educate and support students on their sometimes confusing and chaotic career paths. Whether you want to polish up your resume, practice your interview skills or need help choosing a major, Career Services is your one-stop-shop for all things job-related!

One of the most basic (but vital) aspects of landing an internship or job is your resume. The content and format of your resume is your first chance to show recruiters what you’ve got! Career Services offers many different options for constructing and improving this all-important piece of paper. ??If you’ve already prepared a rough draft of your resume and are looking to improve it, drop by their Express 15-minute resume critique hours. If you have no idea where to begin, don’t fret! You have a few options: first, check out their Resume Preparation Guide. This guide offers resume examples, layout tips, and more. You can then utilize their “OptimalResume” tool. This resume building tool provides sample templates and various resume styles to create your own professional-looking resume! If you’re still at a loss, schedule a one-on-one appointment with a career adviser who will be more than happy to get the ball rolling. (PhotoSource)

Now that you’ve got a flawless resume, you’re ready to submit it in hopes of landing an interview. But where do you even find internship or job options? Besides hosting Career Fair in the fall and Spring ICE, Career Services offers an online recruiting system called CAREERlink. You can use this system to search through job and internship postings, upload your resume, and apply for possible positions. All you need is your Banner ID number and a password! This system has hundreds of internship postings that you can filter by city, using keywords (ex: Accounting Internship), etc. With a simple click, you can apply to the position of your dreams! ??After submitting your resume through CAREERlink, you may receive a call from a recruiter to set up an interview.

What now? Schedule a mock interview! Before participating in any mock-interview, however, you must first attend a Career Services 101 program. Although all programs have ended for this year, you can attend one the first week of school next year. The best part is, you only need to attend this program once during your time at Miami, and many classes will actually require you attend this program for an assignment.

If you’ve already completed a Career Services 101 program, sign up for a Mock Interview via the CAREERlink website. This program allows you to practice your interview skills before the big day arrives. An adviser will act as your potential employer and ask questions typical to any job interview. You will then be critiqued on aspects of your general answers, body language, clothing choice, etc. Mock interviews may be one of the best services offered in your job search. Practice makes perfect! (PhotoSource) ??

Whether you’re just a freshman and want to begin building your resume or a seasoned senior looking for a full-time job for after graduation, Career Services is an invaluable resource for anything you need. They offer the programs described above and many other tools and services designed to help YOU!

Explore their website, follow @miamicareers on Twitter or head to Hoyt Hall on Western Campus to learn more.

Celeste Kalouria is a Senior at Miami University. She is the Social Media Director as well as a Contributing Writer for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.
Alaine Perconti graduated from Miami University (OH) with degrees in Marketing and Journalism. She is the co-founder of the Miami (OH) Chapter and was President from 2011-2013. After graduation, Alaine moved to Cincinnati, OH where she works for a digital marketing agency and is an active volunteer for a local animal rescue. As an HC Alum, Alaine is now a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and is excited to be a positive influence and professional partner for CC's in her new role.