Why You Should Start Drinking Kefir

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

By Lydia Hanicak

You may have seen kefir at your local supermarket, but did you know that you can make your own kefir at home? It has much less sugar than store brands, is relatively cheap and easy to make, and the health benefits are unreal. All you need is: kefir grains (you can buy them online) dairy milk, mason jars for storage, and a strainer. Even if you are lactose intolerant, you can still drink kefir! Kefir grains feed on lactose in milk, and ferment it over a period of 24 hours. The resulting product is a refreshing yogurt-like drink loaded with beneficial probiotics. Below is a list of some top benefits of drinking kefir daily.

1. Clear skin!

Intestinal problems, inflammation, and harmful bacteria sitting in the gut often cause acne and skin problems. Because kefir is so high in nutrients and even higher in probiotics, it will keep you regular and clear your skin over time.

2. Goodbye Colds and Allergies!

Kefir contains probiotics that are proven to inhibit the growth of some cold-causing bacteria. It also has antibacterial properties, which reduces inflammation. Because allergies can be caused by inflammatory responses, kefir may help reduce allergic symptoms.

3. Higher Metabolism, Higher Energy

Kefir can speed up your metabolism due to its high nutrient content and a fatty acid called Conjugated linoleic acid, when paired with a healthy lifestyle. When consumed regularly, kefir can reduce toxin level in the digestive system, aiding in digestion and overall bodily function.

There are plenty of other more detailed articles online about how to get kefir grains/how to make kefir/ testimonials. Check them out!