Style

Why I Hate Jeans (And Why You Should Too)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Jeans. They’re itchy, scratchy, and often uncomfortable. They come in hundreds of shades of that classic blue, and somehow, all these shades are different. They’re made in various shapes such as bootcut, skinny, wide-legged, high-waisted, and low-rise. Not to mention the fact that they come in fabrics labelled “acid-washed” and “distressed.” 

Shopping for jeans is another nightmare. Dressing rooms are cramped and overly bright and I’m positive that they use funhouse mirrors, the ones that make you look short and fat. I practically break a sweat trying to peel them off, let alone on! And to have to watch myself while I’m ungracefully changing? No thank you. 

Don’t even get me started on sizing. It’s almost impossible for me to find jeans that fit both my waist and my thighs. Answer me this: how can the same person be a size 6 at American Eagle and a size 10 at Abercrombie and Fitch? 

I spent my entire high school career in jeans, I thought they were flexible, modest, and easy to coordinate. I owned at least fifteen pairs in a multitude of different sizes and colors, most of which I never wore. I spent so much time stressing about finding the perfect pair that would both accentuate my butt and diminish my thighs. One time freshman year, I actually cried in the American Eagle dressing room because I couldn’t fit into a size four. 

All this stress brought me to my ultimate realization: leggings. They’re never itchy, always soft, and they come in an endless variety of colors and styles. There’s no confusion about fabric, because they’re all the same cotton/polyester blend. The shades are labelled in simple, easy to understand language, like “pink” or “black,” there’s  no guessing!

Shopping for leggings is easy! There are no zippers or sticky tags, and most of the time, you don’t need to try them on. Sizing is a breeze because they come in five sizes: XS, S, M, L, and XL. They’re also relatively inexpensive – depending on the quality – with prices starting at about $5. 

You can wear leggings for everything from working out or class to cute dates and parties! You can dress them both up and down, and you can easily throw them in the wash. They are truly the most comfortable and multipurpose item of clothing on the planet, and are certainly superior to jeans due solely to their comfort (even though I mentioned many other reasons). 

Leggings are amazing: they’re comfortable, easy to clean, and relatively cheap. Jeans are uncomfortable, annoying, and expensive. My life has been ultimately better since I made the switch, and so will yours. 

Kate Stumph

Miami (OH) '22

My name is Kate Stumph and I'm a Creative Writing and Pre-Medical Studies Major from Miami University! I love writing about beauty, self-care, and women's issues!
Mallory Hackett

Miami (OH) '20