Vote HC Miami’s Editor-in-Chief for Homecoming Queen!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.
As of 4pm Wednesday afternoon, it was made official that Her Campus Miami’s very own Editor-in-Chief Alex McNulty was one of five women to be voted onto Miami University’s 2013 Homecoming Court. Obviously, the entire HC Miami team firmly believes Alex deserves to be this year’s Homecoming Queen, so now it’s up to us to convince YOU to vote for her before the polls on The Hub close Friday afternoon at 12pm!

If you have not met Ms. McNulty on campus before, chances are you probably will at some point. Have you ever walked uptown with a friend who seems to know the majority of people who pass you by? Yup, that’s Alex!

This social butterfly is one of the most optimistic and inspiring women you will ever meet. Besides being actively involved with Her Campus, this senior from Darien, Conn. also works for WMSR, is working towards a degree in mass communication with a minor in sociology, and has studied abroad in Japan.

This smart, cultural gal is also probably one of the most busiest women you will ever meet!

The entire HC Miami team loves our Editor-in-Chief, but don’t take our word for it. Keep reading to find out more about this beautiful lady, and why she deserves to be Miami’s 2013 Homecoming Queen:

HC: Let’s begin with everything you are involved in on campus.

Alex: Currently I am the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus, Promotions Director for WMSR and co-host of a weekly radio show called “Angels on the Air”, and a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma Sorority. 

HC: It’s always fun to learn how you got your start with HC Miami, so what is your history with this publication?

Alex: I joined Her Campus during the first semester of my sophomore year at Miami. I was first exposed to the organization after they made an appearance with informational flyers at a fashion show UP Magazine was hosting at Brick Street. I have always been passionate about creative writing, and was totally loving my involvement with UP, therefore I had a burning desire to become involved in additional organizations that would allow me to continue developing and honing my writing skills.

Her Campus was the perfect opportunity to do so, and I also was excited that it was a new organization on campus, which to me meant there was immense opportunity to make an impact and grow with the other members involved. During my second semester I became involved doing work as an Assistant Editor, and now I am currently in the Editor-in-Chief role, which has been an incredible networking and learning experience thus far. I am looking forward to the events and partnerships our team is planning for the upcoming year!  

HC: How do you feel about being nominated to the Homecoming Court this year?

Alex: I am completely humbled and honored to be nominated for the Homecoming Court by my sisters in Kappa Kappa Gamma! I went to an all-girls high school, and never experienced the hype around Homecoming before, so this is all new and exciting to me. I feel extremely blessed to have such amazing and supportive people in my life and can’t thank them enough for changing their cover photos to an image of me from my senior year graduation to encourage people to vote on The Hub!   

HC: What do you love about Miami?

Alex: My favorite thing about Miami is the people that go here. I have met incredible indviduals through my classes, campus involvement, and at Baked Sweets late night! I feel inspired by the people on this campus and the opportunities out there in the real world awaiting all of us. I have truly been shaped by my interpersonal relationships with people here and am a firm believer that we all have something in common with one another if we desire to find that connection, and that everyone has a unique story waiting to be heard. 

HC: Where do you see yourself 5-10 years from now following graduation?

Alex: Where I see myself in 5-10 years is a fantastic question, that I ask myself on the regular. My answer is a work in progress, although I ultimately know where my passions lie; life is a matter of finding that creative outlet where I can combine what sets me on fire by positioning myself in an opportunity where I will experience the most growth on an personal and professional level. I am easily able to identify for myself that I have a strong passion for writing, music, and people, so if anyone has ideas for fusing those elements into a future career, haller at me! No matter where I end up at the end of my time at Miami, my biggest goal is to make a difference in the field I am in and to continue developing leadership skills! After my study abroad and intern experience in Tokyo last semester, I definitely have an itch to travel and experience global markets, Hong Kong being a place I instantly fell in love with for the beauty of the land and people. Perhaps my career goals post-college will take me abroad again, you never know (fingers crossed!).

HC: Do you have any words of wisdom to pass on to Miami’s students?

Alex: The following are some nuggets of wisdom that I’d like to pass on to younger students:
  • If there’s an opportunity to travel abroad, take it! Consider going for an entire semester and don’t let language barriers or not knowing anyone in your program deter you from pursuing an experience and exploring a country that you have an interest in.
  • Be involved with campus organizations from the get-go. My freshman year I was totally guilty of signing up for most list-servs at Mega-Fair, but hey, after various club informational meetings, those led me to the organizations that I am currently involved in and most passionate about now. Also, by becoming involved in campus organizations early on in your college career, you have plenty of opportunity to grow with the organization, become involved in holding leadership positions, and have a chance to truly make a difference in the lives of others on campus.
  • Be positive, and smile at strangers. In college we all juggle a million things at once on a daily basis between boys, coursework demands, extracurriculars, and the inevitable internship/job hunt. What trumps deadlines to me, is taking time for positive self reflection and doing things for others. When we become so wrapped up in our own stress, it’s important to take a step back and assess what’s the worst that can happen, and try and do something positive for another person to take the focus off of ourselves. Smiling at a stranger is one way to do so, and the power of a smile shouldn’t be underestimated. You never know what another person is struggling with internally, and a smile is an easy way to brighten someone’s day and mood! 
HC: What are some of the most valuable things you’ve learned during your college career?

Miami: Some of the most valuable quotes I’ve adopted as mantra’s for life since coming to Miami have been, “be the change you wish to see in the world,” “no one can make you feel inferior but yourself,” “we are our own harshest critics,” “comparison is the thief of joy,” and lastly, “be the best version of yourself”!

Remember to vote Alex McNulty for Homecoming Queen! Voting closes at noon tomorrow, so make sure you click here and sign in to The Hub to submit your vote.
Melissa is a senior journalism and psychology major this year at Miami University. She is the president of the Her Campus chapter at Miami University of Ohio, and is a member of several other student organizations.