TV Review: The Sing-off

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

An eclectic version of Pink’s “Perfect” sparked another season of The Sing Off. This is no ordinary vocal competition: there is no band or backup music to accompany the singers. All of the music is sung acapella. Thwinner’s prize is a $200,000 recording contract with Sony Music.

The show has three all-star judges, Sara Bareilles, Ben Folds, and Shawn Stockman, who have heavily impacted music in some way. Nick Lachey is the host again this year. The a cappella groups this year are: Kinfolk 9, Urban Method, Delilah, Vocal Point, Cat’s Pajamas, Afro-Blue,The Fannin Family, and The Yellowjackets. Each group brings a unique and individual sound to the show, but beyond that, each group has a different goal, and gripping personal stories.

The Sing Off not only expands on musical talents of the groups, but it allows America to see what can be done with music, and how music can easily be interpreted into personal meaning and sound.

Ben Folds said: “The first two seasons, we introduced acapella music to America. And they’ve loved it.” So there you have it. Everyone who watches the show will get a taste of what these diverse singers can bring to the stage.

Episode two of season three airs on September 26 at 8/7c on NBC.
(Pictured: Vocal Point / Photo Credit: www.poptower.com)

Alaine Perconti graduated from Miami University (OH) with degrees in Marketing and Journalism. She is the co-founder of the Miami (OH) Chapter and was President from 2011-2013. After graduation, Alaine moved to Cincinnati, OH where she works for a digital marketing agency and is an active volunteer for a local animal rescue. As an HC Alum, Alaine is now a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and is excited to be a positive influence and professional partner for CC's in her new role.