Treadwell Fired, Bath Assumes Position of Interim Head Coach

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Everyone knows that Miami University is known for its ice hockey program. However, did you know that Miami was once also known for its football program? Many of you who were still in high school during the 2010 – 2011 season probably don’t even know that during that year, the RedHawks won the Mid-American Conference (MAC) championship against Northern Illinois 26-21, then went on to win a bowl game against Middle Tennessee State.

Since that glorious year for the Red and White, Miami’s football program has struggled to get back to a conference championship, and are currently 0-5 on the season.

This has led to a decision that has left fans, students and staff, and outside media wondering what is next for the football team and its 2013-2014 season.

Quarterback/wide receiver coach Mike Bath will continue coaching this season under a slightly different title: head coach.

Bath has taken on the duties of Don Treadwell, who was recently fired this past Sunday.

In a press conference yesterday, Bath expressed how he is anticipating this transition.

“I’m looking forward to getting this program back on solid ground and moving in the direction that alumni, fans, family members, and people in the community are excited about.”

Athletic Director David Sayler said that the program was in dire need of a turn-around, and Bath was the first man in line to take over the position for the remainder of the season. “We are fully behind Coach Bath,” Saylor said. “He has the full support of our administration and our staff.”

The press conference was emotional for Bath, as he has spent the last three seasons alongside former head coach Don Treadwell as well as offensive coordinator John Klacik who was also let go.

“It hurts that we are at the situation that we are at,” Bath said.

Bath said he knows a lot of work is ahead of him in order to win over the hearts of Miami football fans.

Plans to begin the search for the new football coach for the 2014 season are already underway but we shouldn’t count Bath out just yet. He was asked in the press conference if he would be open to taking the position full-time.

“I’m not going to try to politic for the job,” Bath responded. “I’m worried about those kids today and how we’re going to get better at our 5:30 pm practice.”

As for Don Treadwell, his exit was abrupt but necessary, based on his 8-21 record during his 29-game reign as head coach. 

Sayler spoke out about Treadwell’s tenure at Miami, but focused mostly on the university’s priority of reshaping the program.

“Don is a good man and he did a lot for Miami, but we just need to get back, get that chip off our shoulder and get our program back to winning conference championships.”

The decision to fire Treadwell was regrettable, but ultimately Sayler knew something had to be done. He said a change had to be made for the team and its fans to get their passion back for the game.

“This is a proud program, but it lost it’s edge and we need to get it back.”

Bath will undergo his first test as head coach this Saturday, when the RedHawks take on Massachusetts at 3 pm in Foxboro, Mass. The Red and White will then face off at home against Akron at 1 pm Saturday, Oct. 19 for Miami’s Homecoming Weekend.

Make sure you are at the game to show your support for your Miami University football team!

To learn more about the coaching change, and for the latest releases on the football team, please visit the team’s page here.

Front page photo attributed to Miami University Athletics

Story photo found on Creative Commons images, attributed to PhotoBen27

Emily Hanhart is a senior at Miami University. She is the Assistant Editor for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.