Tips for Internship Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

With summer rolling around the corner, many of you may be preparing for an internship, a part-time job or starting your career. Her Campus has a few practices to keep in mind when beginning in a new work environment:

1. Be on time: Being on time is something that is it important in everyday life, and especially when starting a new job. Showing up late is guaranteed to make a negative impression. To ensure you’ll be on time, test the route to your new job before you start, whether it’s driving, catching the subway, or walking. Factor in extra time if there’s traffic, construction or other reasons to expect a delay. If you are running late, give your employer a heads up.

2. Get to know your colleagues: These are the people who you will spend a lot of time with, so it’s important to get to know them. Learn their names and introduce yourself! Ask simple questions to break the awkwardness such as, their roles with the company, how long have they been there? If they’re an intern, ask the basic questions like what college do/did they go to and their major. 

3. Don’t be afraid to ask for help: Asking for help is not always bad. Employers rather you ask questions then making a mistake that can cost the company time and money. 

4. Know the dress code: Before starting the job, talk with the hiring manger or human resources to get a clear understanding on what is acceptable attire for the job. You don’t want to show up in an outfit that your supervisor would disapprove.  Take some time with your closet to plan out a few plausible outfits. If you’re not satisfied with your options, it’s time to go shopping!

5. Evaluate the company: This is your chance to learn about a specific corporate culture and discover which elements you like and do not like. Hopefully, that will help you make the even more important decision in the coming year about accepting a job offer. Remember–this is a learning experience!

Check out some of the summer internships that the Her Campus (MUOhio) staff will hold:

“I am going to be interning with Kohl’s in Cincinnati”- Kiaya White

“I will be interning in Washington, D.C., this summer in Senator Sherrod Brown’s office. As an intern I will be answering phone calls, letters, and emails from constituents, writing memos, researching legislation, attending Committee hearings, filing documents and running errands on the Capitol grounds.”- Emily Baker

“I am interning at Citibank back home (in Vietnam) this summer!”- Que Nguyen

Kiaya White is a Junior at Miami University. She is a Contributing Writer, for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus."