Spending Summertime in Oxford

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Our lovely city of Oxford is infamous for its well-dressed students, beautiful campus, and not to mention our fun-filled weekends Uptown. During the school year, Oxford, Ohio is taken over by the students at Miami, and sometimes most of us might forget that there are other families that live here too! We aren’t the only ones who call the “Ox-Box” or “Oxvegas” home. When our favorite day of the year comes (otherwise known as the last day of finals), most of us pack up our things yet again, and move back to our hometowns for the summer. But, there are still some Miami students that stick around. I recently spoke with a good friend of mine, Debbie Rogers, a current Junior, about her summer experience in Oxford last year. 

HC:
Why did you live in Oxford for the summer?
Debbie Rogers: Well, to be honest, it was time for me to get out of my parents’ house. I wanted to be able to hang out with friends over the summer and really see what it would be like to encounter Oxford without the drama of school.

HC: How was the house you lived in?
DR: The house I lived in was nice. All of us girls got along really well, and all we did was watch movies and eat cheap pizza. And, we didn’t have to worry about the noise at night, so it was also VERY quiet. This was something we liked as well.

HC: What did you like best about living in Oxford while school was out?
DR: There weren’t that many people to worry about. When I was driving, I didn’t have to worry about hitting somebody walking across the street, and all of the places that are around here are a lot less crowded. I also liked being able to see Oxford for what it really is, and the people that ACTUALLY live here. I liked how relaxing and nice the summer is with just these people. Every Thursday they have local bands come and play Uptown, and the community just gathers to hang out together. It’s this atmosphere that really makes me enjoy Oxford in the Summer. Oh, I also can’t forget how BEAUTIFUL Oxford is during the summer. Clear skies, green trees- it’s just so great.

HC: Would you live in Oxford during the summer again, and why?
DR: I would definitely live in the summer again, and I actually plan to this summer! I’m just excited to live with girls in a house where we actually get to see each other, because we aren’t bogged down with the stress of school and life at the same time. It will be cool to live in a beautiful place such as Oxford and be able to enjoy it without the huge amount of students that only live here during the school year.

Bands playing Uptown, clear skies, peace and quiet…sounds like a wonderful place to live! Since coming to Miami, I have heard from many people that everyone should live in Oxford in the summer at least once. I am lucky enough to live less than 30 minutes away from school, so sometimes when I’m bored at home I’ll drive up here and enjoy Oxford’s summer tranquility. Oxford is definitely a good time during the school year, but during the summer is when Oxford is truly seen for the beautiful place that it is.

Alaine Perconti graduated from Miami University (OH) with degrees in Marketing and Journalism. She is the co-founder of the Miami (OH) Chapter and was President from 2011-2013. After graduation, Alaine moved to Cincinnati, OH where she works for a digital marketing agency and is an active volunteer for a local animal rescue. As an HC Alum, Alaine is now a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and is excited to be a positive influence and professional partner for CC's in her new role.