The Seven People You’ll Meet on Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

As Halloween approaches, people begin to put their costume planning into high gear. Should you go scandalous or funny? Lazy or all out? Here in Oxford, we see all types of costumes. These are seven of our favorites…

1. The Mean Girl Effect
In the words of Lindsey Lohan, “In Girl World, Halloween is the one night a year where a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.” While we don’t agree with the slogan, Miami girls have formed their own version of this by dressing up scantily on Halloween. One thing we often see from Miami girls during Halloween is the “Karen Smith,” a girl with a small, tight dress and animal ears to “dress up” as that animal. In real life, no one would consider these real Halloween costumes.

2. Group Outfits
Group outfits are the perfect thing to do when you don’t want to dress up by yourself. They can range from simple to complex, and are a super fun to do with your sorority sisters or the girls in your dorm. We love group outfits because you always have people to take pictures with and you can make so many more clever outfits than if you were by yourself. If you went out in an orange turtleneck sweater, kilt, and knee-highs, everyone might think you’re weird. However, when your friend in a dog suit is following you around the party, you instantly turn into Velma from Scooby Doo. The only downside is when you are alone at the bar; no one will get your outfit.

3. ABC
For you college newbies that are unaware of this acronym, it stands for anything but clothes. And you ask, how can you not wear clothes? Well take a look at some of Miami’s finest in their ingenious outfits. If you’re tight on money and you’re not for slapping together an outfit, here is our list of our favorite ABC materials. First, is duct tape. Any girl can make an outfit out of duct tape. Just be warned, it is often hard to take off at the end of the night. Our other favorites include togas, solo cup dresses, and really large gift bags to dress as presents.

4. The “Non” Outfit
One of the most uncreative things anyone can do for Halloween is wear their normal clothes as a costume. When we see people wearing workout clothes or pajamas out, it just shows how little they appreciate this national tradition and fun excuse to wear something that they would never normally get to. However, once and a while, people can do it in the right way and make a lasting impression. If you are someone who doesn’t like to dress up or spend money, wear your normal clothes but put a comical twist to it. For the best example, see below.

5. Boys in Jerseys
While they deny that it’s their go-to costume, jerseys are the costumes of choice for the lazy guys. Not only is it a simple fix to not trying, it is the only allowed occasion to wear sports jerseys to a bar. Boys love to rep their team and for one day can fulfill their fantasies of being their favorite athletes. Boys, we want you to try as hard as we do, so throw some fake blood on your baseball jersey to spice up your outfit and become a zombie baseball player.

6. Just for Laughs
This is the opposite of many Halloween stereotypes. It’s for the very confident, over the top people who are daring enough to stand out. Why dress up as a playboy bunny when you can dress up in a dinosaur outfit!? The best part about these outfits, are that they make people laugh and will create talk around the room. What is a more conversion-starting than people asking why you are dressed up as a giant banana? So this Halloween, consider trading in your duct tape dress for a floor length, full coverage nun outfit.

7. The Message
This is a combination between the “non” outfit and giving a subliminal message. Some of the easiest costumes are wearing your normal clothes, but adding a piece or two to take your outfit from normal to costume. For example, throw on a black dress and stick mail to your dress. Instantly, you become black mail. Another personal favorite, prepared versus unprepared. Use your imagination… These costumes look well when done properly, but if not, they often look just as bad as the people who do not try.

Chloe Nettleton is a Junior at Miami University. She is a contributing writer for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.