Meet Sally Stearns, Editor in Chief of Up Magazine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Walking into Mega Fair as a freshman, Sally Stearns saw a table advertising a publication that fell right into her passion for fashion and writing; it was Up Magazine. She joined the team that year and after working hard and producing articles for about three years, she became the Editor-in-Chief at the end of her junior year.

Name: Sally Stearns

Major: Journalism and Professional Writing

Hometown: Toledo, Ohio

Year: Senior

HC: Tell us a little bit about your position:

SS: My position at UP Magazine includes acting as the main editor and head of the staff. Our staff is broken up into different teams (styling, photography, layout, etc.), so I make sure everything runs smoothly, conduct meetings, and edit all of the final copy of each issue!

HC: What do you like most about writing/editing for Up Magaine?

SS: What I like most about writing for UP is the absolutely incredible staff. Every year, I can’t help but smile at the fact that I have made amazing friends through this organization. Each and every member does what they do out of pure passion and love for both fashion and magazines, and we feed off of each other’s ideas and excitement every single time we are together.

HC: What is the key to being a great editor?

SS: The key to being a great editor is communication. It is so important to have a good relationship with the writer, so that you can reach the best possible outcome and not take away any part of the writer’s style and voice.

HC: What are your plans for after graduation?

SS: After graduation, I hope to move to New York City or Chicago, pursuing a career in magazine journalism at Glamour, Vogue, or any other fashion magazine as a staff writer or editor.

HC: Just for fun, now in college, what does your average weekend look like?

SS: On an average weekend, I spend time with my friends and go to Chipotle at least once!

Ellie Conley

Miami (OH)

Ellie Conley is a senior at Miami University. She is the current Editor-In-Chief and the former Publicity Coordinator for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.