HC Miami’s Winter Break Cutie, Zack Ferri

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.
Senior Zack Ferri is warming up this blistery winter season as HC Miami’s winter break Campus Cutie! This Pittsburgh native will not only impress you as he tears up the ice during his intramural hockey games, but will melt your heart with a single contagious smile. Your search for that special someone this winter will be over once you read more about why this senior Kinesiology major is this Christmas season’s Campus Cutie.

HC Miami: So with graduation just a few short months away, what are your career plans?

Zack: My plans following graduation include going to grad school for business and hopefully into some sort of pharmaceutical sales.

HC Miami: You’re pretty impressive out on the ice. When did you start playing hockey and what position do you play?

Zack: I started playing hockey when I was eight years old. I actually played dek hockey from ages 8-10, and made the transition to ice when I was 11. I have played forward my whole life, but it wasn’t until around age 13 when I solidified my position as a Center.

HC Miami: What is one of your favorite memories from hockey?

Zack: One of my favorites memories from hockey includes winning my first tournament with the Allegheny Badgers around age 12. I can remember going into the tournament as huge underdogs, and to come out on top as champions really gave our team a sense of gratification and confidence going forward.

HC Miami: Getting away from academics and sports and into what HC Miami readers are just dying to hear, what do you look for in a girl?

Zack: Good question! Some things I look for in a girl is a great sense of humor and one who I can be myself around (and also one who can put up with my many flaws). I like to see that she knows what she wants in life, and she goes for it. Also, I like when a girl is great with my family. All of these qualities will make her beautiful and, in my eyes, my ideal woman.

HC Miami: Keeping with the theme of the holiday season, what’s your perfect way to spend the Holidays?

Zack: My perfect Christmas Holiday consists of what it is already. My immediate family hosts Christmas Eve at our house every year, with grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins visiting for a well-prepared feast prepared from my parents. On Christmas Day, we all congregate to my grandparents house for lunch (they call it supper) and later for dinner at my uncle’s house. I know it’s old fashioned, but it has yet to let me down. Coming from an Italian family, our traditions have always been the perfect way to spend a holiday.

HC Miami: What has been your most memorable experience at Miami?

Zack: My most memorable experience at Miami University was winning the beginner’s broomball championship my freshman year. That moment brought all of my friends together sharing a competitive season followed by a championship; nothing better!

HC Miami: What is something that most people don’t know about you?

Zack: Surprisingly, a lot of people don’t know that I play guitar. I started playing when I was around 14 and have loved it ever since. It is a huge stress reliever for me. Some of my favorites artists include John Mayer, Blink-182, and Florida Georgia Line.

HC Miami: As a senior who knows a lot of the ins and outs of college and Miami, what advice would you give to incoming freshmen?

Zack: The one piece of advice I would give to incoming freshman is to get involved right away, whether it’s with Greek Life, Clubs/Sports, and anything else extracurricular. That is the quickest way to meet people and to get to know everyone.

HC Miami: Okay, I have to ask this question with the Holidays right around the corner. What do you want for Christmas?

Zack: For Christmas, I want a set of golf clubs. I have been trying to get involved with the sport over the years, but really haven’t had a whole lot of time to. It’s one of those sports I can play even when I’m 80 years old, and it is such a fitting sport with hockey.
Melissa is a senior journalism and psychology major this year at Miami University. She is the president of the Her Campus chapter at Miami University of Ohio, and is a member of several other student organizations.