HC Miami Thanks Our Nation’s Veterans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

On November 11, 1918, WWI unofficially ended following an armistice between Germany and the Allied Forces. While the “war to end all wars” officially ended June 28, 1919 with the signing of the Treaty of Versailles, President Wilson recognized November 11 as a day to celebrate “Armistice Day”.

“To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations…” President Wilson had said, according to the article, “History of Veterans Affairs” on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

The first Veterans Day recognizing Armistice Day was celebrated 59 years later on November 11, 1978, and has been celebrated on this day every year since. Her Campus Miami (OH) would like to take some time tonight to recognize some of this country’s veterans, and thank them for their courage and patriotism.

Taking Veterans Day one step further, HC Miami will spend the entire week highlighting some of our country’s service men and women as a reminder that our veterans deserve to be recognized and appreciated everyday. Continue scrolling to meet some of the men who have served, are currently serving, and will serve in the United States armed forces. Remember to check back tomorrow night to see more of our nation’s heroes.

Earl Parker Wilson (middle), Sergeant in charge of an artillery battery during the Korean War. Enlisted in the Marines when he was 17 years old and served from 1949-1953.

John Snell, Sargent in the Army, WWII

S-Sgt. Don Beckman, army, WWII, 1943 – 1945

Brett Kish, Boatswain’s Mate 2nd Class in US Navy, Currently Serving is Okinawa, Japan

First Lieutenant Jonathan Kahn in Afghanistan 2013. He has served six tours overseas in both Afghanistan and Iraq and just completed forced recon training.

Koby Hensel, Served in the U.S. Army infantry for nine months in Afghanistan

Tim Haggerty, a freshman at Norwich University, a military school in Northfield, Vt. Haggerty plans to enlist in the U.S. Army to serve his country.

Melissa is a senior journalism and psychology major this year at Miami University. She is the president of the Her Campus chapter at Miami University of Ohio, and is a member of several other student organizations.