This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Every girl has that one feature they love to accentuate before going out, whether it’s a night on the town or simply heading to the library. Some of us can’t live without a little foundation; for others, lip-gloss is an everyday essential. For me, it’s all about the eyes. I can’t go anywhere without curling my eyelashes and swiping on a little mascara. When I heard about The Blink Boutique opening in Oxford, I was intrigued. Blink Boutique offers semi-permanent eyelash extensions that can last up to 6 weeks. After a little more research from their website, I decided to make an appointment and give the extensions a try.

Located on the second floor of a large, white house on Walnut, the “lash studio” boasted hardwood floors, chic furniture, and a relaxed atmosphere. I sat down with Jessica, the “Lashionista” who would later apply my extensions. She talked with me about the application process and stressed that neither the extensions nor the adhesive would damage my natural lashes. We discussed what kind of look I wanted and, after explaining that I occasionally wear eyeglasses, she suggested thick lashes that were a bit longer on the outer edges to achieve a “cat-eye” appearance.

Before:

Jessica led me to a leather chair, similar to those in a dentist office, but much more comfortable. The first step in the application process was to, for lack of a better term, tape my eyes shut (it sounds worse than it actually was). With light country music playing in the background, Jessica made sure to explain what she was doing at each step. She had to adhere the extensions to my natural lashes, allow them to dry and then comb them through with a small brush to separate any clumping. The entire process took about an hour and a half.

Although the process was a bit lengthy, time flew by. Jessica and I discussed her family, my plans for after graduation, and how she became a “Lashionista.” The reclined seats were comfortable and, with my eyes closed, I found myself drifting to sleep at one point. When Jessica was finished, she handed me a mirror to inspect my new eyelashes. With absolutely no makeup on, my lashes looked fuller, longer and as if I had used an eyelash curler. I was thoroughly impressed, thanked Jessica and went on my way. As an experiment, I decided not to tell my housemates about the extensions. A few of them took notice and commented that my eyelashes looked longer and my eyes more wide. After explaining that I had not an ounce of mascara on, they were fascinated.

After: 

I’ve had the extensions for a week now and I’m hooked. Waking up with longer, thicker lashes has saved me time while getting ready for class or going Uptown. Another perk is stepping out of the shower without the dreaded raccoon eyes that appear after one too many layers of mascara. If you’re guilty of obsessing over your eyelashes or if you’re always on the hunt for the “perfect” mascara, I highly recommend trying eyelash extensions. There are a wide variety of options and you can tailor your extensions to find your ideal look. For those of you who are uncomfortable or squeamish about other people touching their eyes, the actual application process may less relaxing than it was for me. In my opinion, however, it’s totally worth it. 

click here for pricing and appointment information

Celeste Kalouria is a Senior at Miami University. She is the Social Media Director as well as a Contributing Writer for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.