HC Miami Guide to Eco-friendly Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

For most, if not all, college girls, having a drawer full of make-up is an absolute must. You have cover up for those especially groggy mornings when you need to hide circles under your eyes, foundation to even out your skin tone, and eye shadow, eye liner, and mascara to make your eyes stand out (and get those Miami boys to do a double take).

With so many brands of makeup to choose from, it can be difficult to find the perfect match for you. Clinique, Maybelline, Almay, Mary Kay, oh my!

What is a girl to do?

Why not try a few brands that are creating eco-friendly make up that is good for your skin, as well as the environment? After doing some research, here are five brands I found that are eco-friendly and will not break your college student budget.

1. Physician’s Formula has created an Organic Wear line of makeup that is cheap, safe for the environment, and will leave your skin looking healthy and beautiful. A popular product, the Organic Wear 100% Natural Lash Boosting Mascara dramatically increases lash volume, allowing your lashes to go to lengths they’ve never gone before! At just under 10 dollars, you’ll be helping the environment while looking bold and daring at the same time.

2. Maybelline is another brand that is well known for its healthy minerals products. Maybelline offers its Mineral Power Powder that is healthy, natural, and includes no oils or fragrances. You can find this product for under ten dollars at a drugstore or online, and will leave your skin looking flawless.

3. Sally Hansen Natural Beauty offers an eye product that doesn’t make it look like your eye shadow is caked onto your eyelids. Fast Fix Eye Shadow Base is a primer that nourishes the skin around your eyes and keeps your eye shadow in place all day long!

4. Alima Pure makeup has twenty Luminous Shimmer Blush colors for twenty dollars. This lightweight mineral blush will give a natural, shimmering glow to your cheeks. Picked as the Organic Beauty Talk 2011 winner, the Alima Pure Satin Matte Blush also blends well and makes your skin look refreshed.

5. Burt’s Bees has the lip balms shimmer to give your lips a healthy, colorful glow. The Rhubarb Lip Shimmer – Burt’s Bees’ number one seller right now – gives your lips a vibrant shimmer, while also providing nourishment and moisture through vitamin E and coconut oils. You can find these lips products in any drugstore, or in Miami’s own McCracken market on campus.

While trying to find the right makeup for you can be daunting, these five brands offer eco-friendly options that will leave your skin, lips, and eyes looking healthy and glowing at an affordable price.

So join Miami’s pledge to “Go Green” and try out these environmentally loving make-up brands!

Melissa is a senior journalism and psychology major this year at Miami University. She is the president of the Her Campus chapter at Miami University of Ohio, and is a member of several other student organizations.