george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Face Behind Miami’s Social Media: Kelly Bennett

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.
Ever wonder who’s manning the Miami social media fort? Well we’ve found her, and we’re proud to announce that she’s one of our own: a RedHawk!  

Name: Kelly Bennett
Hometown: Akron, Ohio
Degree: Mass Communication major, Marketing minor ‘11

Tell us a little about your position… 
I’m the Social Media Specialist for Miami University… the secret is out and you now know who is liking your Instagram photos of our beautiful campus and responding to your tweets about how the Wi-Fi isn’t quite coming through in your residence hall. 

I represent the university through Miami’s main social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Youtube, Vine). A fun aspect of my job is being able to connect with strangers all over the world who share a love for Miami. I try my best to congratulate newly accepted RedHawks, address any issues current students tweet or post and reach out to alumni who are doing great things in the real world.

How did your Miami education lead to your position?
Funny you should ask! During the second semester of my senior year (Spring 2011) I took an Interactive Media Studies (IMS) class called “Social Media Marketing.” It was a new course taught by professor Glenn Platt (awesome guy- if you get the chance to take one of his classes, do it!) The class involved working on a team to develop a social media plan for Miami University and we presented to University Communications and Marketing (UCM). Our proposal must have been pretty convincing because less than a month later a position for social media specialist was created! 

I work in UCM (University Communications and Marketing), which is housed in the Glos Center (cute stone cottage on the corner of Chestnut and Patterson).

Is this what you envisioned your post-grad life to be when beginning your four years at Miami?
Honestly, if I could have created my dream job fresh out of college, this would be it! Like many first year students, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. My parents thought I’d be good at advertising, which led me to mass communication and marketing. In college I was the friend with the camera and could be counted on to re-cap weekend events in a Facebook album. Through this job I’m able to combine my love for social media with my love for Miami.

How does your Miami experience help you succeed as a social media specialist?
It’s funny how college activities can translate into skills used for future jobs. As a student I took photos for The Miami Student and The Miami Quarterly, which helped improve my Instagram skills. Senior year I hosted my own radio show, “Chill Out With Kel”, through which I promoted campus events on the air and through my fan page… ironically it’s quite similar to what I do now for Miami. I was also involved with Greek life (AOII) and I studied abroad in Luxembourg. And if you ask my friends they’ll tell you I jumped at every opportunity to enjoy an on campus event, lecture, or a cappella concert. ;) 

How has Oxford changed for you since transitioning from student to professional?
Mmm… good question! Other than the construction and new restaurants/bars? Well, as every Miami student knows, Oxford is a magical place because of the people that are here. I’ve been extremely fortunate to have many friends who are current students, and share the Miami experience with my two siblings here (Caroline ’14 and Ryan ’17).  

As for transitioning from a student to a professional, I had no idea how much behind the scenes work goes into marketing to high school students, or putting on events like commencement and homecoming; things I took for granted as a student. 

We’d love to know some tricks of the trade…what is the key to being a social media star? 
Oh wow- tricks of the trade, eh? I’d say the three biggest pieces of advice I could give for a social media specialist representing a brand are 1) Be authentic 2) Engage with your audience and 3) Add value.

I’m lucky that so many people already share their love for Miami through tweets and photos, and the “product” of Miami is an easy sell because so many students and alumni are already passionate about their experiences here. 

What is your advice to HC readers that want to break into the field of social media?
Get to know the ins and outs of new social media platforms first hand before using them for a brand. Follow sites like Mashable.com to stay up to date on trends and news. Find a company you’re passionate about- it’s much easier to do your job when you believe in the product.

Any other interests? What does a Saturday in the life of Kelly look like? 
While I enjoy going to many Miami events, even during the weekend, it’s impossible to be everywhere at once –that’s where the beauty of social media comes in. I am able to share information that is already out there. If I see something that would be valuable to retweet or share, I can do that with a few taps on my phone.

Be sure to check out all of Miami’s social media sites and use #MiamiOH with your Miami-related tweets and Instagram photos to share your Love & Honor!

Lauren Kiggins is a senior at Miami University studing journalism, marketing, and violin performance. She served as Assistant Editor for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus for two years and continues to write for the site as a staff writer.