Campus Celebrity: Adetola Adedipe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Thought you were busy trying to juggle in between two Netflix shows while attempting to finish your Geology homework in the mix? Well, meet your match. Senior Adetola Adedipe, majoring in both Political Science and Pre-Law, is actively involved all over campus specifically with two clubs as well as being not only a tour guide but also a member on Miami’s Hip Hop team. Wondering her secrets behind her success and drive? Read on to learn more about her inspiring involvement. 

Her Campus: Specifically what are you involved in on campus?

Adetola Adedipe: I’m involved in a couple things on campus actually. I am a member of the African Student Union (ASU), the Asian American Association (AAA) on campus, as well as the Miami University Hip Hop Team. I’m also a campus tour guide, and was an Made@Miami peer leader this summer.

HC: How and why did you become involved with these activities?

AA: I’ve always been into dancing, so when one of my best friends told me that there was a Hip Hop team on campus holding auditions, I nervously jumped at the opportunity. It was a great opportunity and I’ve grown with my organization since. I joined ASU because I am a first-generation African child. Both of my parents were born and raised in  Nigeria, and I am so close to my culture. It took me a long time to appreciated that fact that I was an african child until later on in my life. I wanted to learn about other african cultures and ASU provided me with that opportunity. Lastly, I joined AAA because I’ve heard multiple good things from many friends who are already in the group. I was really interested in their event called Fusion, and wanted to find a way to be apart of the process! I’ve been in other organizations over the years and have had a wonderful opportunity of growing with each organization. I’m blessed to be in each of these organizations and hope that I get the opportunity to do multiple things with each organization before I go.

HC: What advice do you have for someone who wants to become involved on campus but doesn’t know how to?

AA: My best advice for anyone wanting to get involved with the Miami University campus is to ASK QUESTIONS. Mega fair is a great resource for students at the beginning of the year, it allows them the opportunity to figure out which clubs and organizations they feel would fit them. We also have the Armstrong student center which is the home to many student organization office areas, as well as the office of diversity affairs. I strongly advice being apart of the DAC list serve, it keeps students in the loop, especially through the use of their monday memos! Lastly, I’d tell students to pay attention to their surroundings. Area’s such as the HUB, in front of Armstrong, and Shriver are the best ways to figure out what is going on around campus.

HC: In a day of the life of you, what does it look like?

AA: My days are very scattered. I never know what I’m going to have to squeeze into my schedule, and that is one of the things that I find most exciting. I have my standard class schedule and organization schedules, but at times new opportunities pop up and I just have to take a chance with them. Even though my days can get crazy, I love seeing my friends and family around campus. It the part of my day that I look forward too, and it’s the part of the day that keeps me going. Fun Fact, on Wednesday’s a couple of my close friends get together and we have our weekly Lunch Date Wednesday at Armstrong, or as we like to call it, #LDW. It’s one of the many outlets I have on campus that allow me to make a stressful day more manageable. In my typical day, I’m usually having fun, smiling, being goofy, and most importantly getting my work done. I think that accurately sums up my day.

HC: Between everything you are involved in, you must have a secret to balancing out your time between activities, school, friends and sleep. What is it?

AA: I do admit that I have a lot going on, and the secret to balancing my busy day is…TWO agenda’s, and a smart phone. I have two different agenda’s, believe it or not, one outlining my course work, and one outlining my time schedule. My phone is always with me, and in the event that I need to add more information to my agenda’s or I get an email or text message with a fun activity or issue, I can fix the problem. My phone also keeps me updated on all my social media needs and concerns. My system is set up in a way that I can easily navigate through my day. Although, I must admit, if another person looked at my agenda, they would be greatly confused.

HC: Do you hope to create a career, or find one that incorporates any of the activities you have involvement with?

AA: Thinking about the future is really scary. I really want to give back to the community and help individuals that are in desperate need of support and a shoulder. Throughout my years here at Miami, I have worked on my networking skills, communication skills, and many more. I would love to go out into the world and incorporate my artistic side into my line of work, but I also feel like my journey is a never ending story.

Hey my name is Anna Dorr, I'm a freshman writer and I love quotes and smoothies.
Shelby Hyde

Miami (OH)

Shelby Hyde is a senior journalism and professional writing double major with hopes of working in the wide world of publishing upon graduating in May of 2016. This Miami University (OH) Campus Correspondent/Editor-in-Chief is a fashion fanatic with a knack for words and bringing them to life. Shelby has had a wide variety of experiences throughout her four years at Miami, including working as Creative Services and Special Sections intern for Cincinnati Magazine, as well as a three-time returning style guru intern for well known fashion site, CollegeFashionista.com.The 22 year-old is Hoosier born and bred with a New Yorker status pending, and she's looking for something BIG! All inquiries can be forwarded to: shelbyyhyde@hercampus.com