Anonymous Twitter: Miami Crushes and Miami Confessions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

One of the thing I have noticed for the past three years is that we Miamians love our fads and they almost always come on faster than it takes to get a salad at Dividends, and leave even more quickly. This semester we have seen a few new fads around campus, some lasting as long as the winter weather, and others crashing and burning faster than Lindsey Lohan after rehab (and we all know I mean Tinder). In the newest wave of classroom distractions, Twitter put Pinterest in its place and gave us the ever popular Miami Make Outs; because lets be honest, The Woods dance floor is just too damn big to see all of the slightly intoxicated college students having an awkward dance floor make out. And when it could not have gotten any better then a Scott pizza, the fad trend graced us with Miami Crushes and Miami Confessions.

Now first I have to admit, I am an avid Tweeter so I spend more than my fair share of time scrolling through the pages of celebs who tweet about their breakfast during my fair share of Miami Plan classes. Someone like myself loves a little comedic relief in the form of 140 character blurbs that poke fun at someone’s expense. Ask and you shall receive in the form of anonymous tweets about the stupid things we love to do.

In my opinion, I think both twitter accounts are entertaining, but a little unfortunate. Miami Crushes is a bunch of people tweeting in their names, their sister or brothers’ names, or the name of someone as a joke, so really it’s just about making people feel really good about themselves and being horrible to others who don’t deserve that. On the other hand, Miami Confessions is like a wonderful comedic compilation of tales, that highlights we really can be and are that dumb.

While I am in line with the many that love to read it, the real thing that no one thinks about is how does this make Miami look? When people applying to Miami look up Miami things on Twitter and see some of the things people post, what will they think? Granted, I’m not saying it’s not humorous, but have we really thought what these accounts could portray about our school? In a time when Miami is rapidly expanding, I sometimes wonder what our twitter accounts say to our incoming students. It should be the best times we had, not the dumbest.

Lizzie Miller is a Junior at Miami University. She is a Contributing Writer for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus."