Advice for Freshman from a Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Freshman year of college can be a very scary, yet very pivotal time. So many new things are being thrown at you, and you are expected to immediately have them all figured out on your own. But that is just not realistic.

What is also not realistic is the advice that people normally give to freshman. Usually, when older people give advice they give tips based on what they would have done differently. However, I’m not here to do that. I want you to know what they never actually tell you.

Since I am a senior I would like to think that I know something, but definitely not everything. Nevertheless, I am here to tell you what I learned, which will hopefully make this very scary, yet very exciting time be a little bit easier. So, let’s get real.

First and foremost: your major isn’t everything.

I switched my major many, MANY times. It took me all through my Freshman to Junior year to figure out what I actually want to do, and it has nothing to do with my majors. No one actually cares what your major is during undergrad, and you will find a way to do what you want.

Second, take as many different classes your Freshman and Sophomore year as you can. These two years you should try to only do your Miami Plan, so you can be exposed to different subjects that you might really enjoy. This could then lead to you finding a major that best fits you.

Third, you don’t have to be friends with everyone. Starting off, you feel this pressure that you need to make your best friends in the first semester, but that can be very unlikely. I made some of my closest friends my Junior year. You’ll find your real friends as you go along.

Fourth, you have to find your own way to study, and it will take a while. So many people try to give advice on the best way to study, but in the end, it is completely based on you and how you learn. I didn’t learn how to actually successfully study until the end of my Sophomore year and beginning of Junior year. Your studying has to be tailored to you, but I will say studying your notes the day, or day after, you write them is actually really beneficial.

Fifth, being in a dorm sucks, but try to find time to be alone. Living in a dorm my first two years taught me how to live with myself and do things for myself. It is so important to learn that during these years and take that with you in life.

Sixth, these are your last years to be a “kid” and to not care so much. It’s okay to say no to things, but don’t hold yourself back from going out and making memories because you feel like you need to study all day and night. You have to find time to be adventurous and do stupid things with your friends.

Lastly, you don’t have to have everything figured out right now. I definitely did not have everything figured out my Freshman year, and I still don’t have everything figured out my Senior year. But, as long as you have a few good people in your life, who will be there to help you along the way, you’ll be fine. Enjoy these years because they go by WAY too fast.

Carrie Shaheen

Miami (OH) '19

Miami University President/Writer