7 Ways to Save Money While Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

To shop or not to shop should never be the question! After all, whose wardrobe couldn’t use a little bit of spring-cleaning? If your budget is standing in the way, this is your guide to breaking through that roadblock! In reality, finding deals isn’t really a daunting task. You just have to know where to find them.

1.  Groupon: This website is full of all sorts of deals. Not only can you find Groupon’s for restaurants and spas, but you can also score discounts for stores as well. Signing up is easy. Simply visit www.groupon.com, enter your city and email address, and you’re on your way to saving some major moolah (there’s an app too for you mobile bargain hunters).

2. E-mail Deals: Visit your favorite store websites online and subscribe to their emailing lists. Places like Charlotte Russe and Express offer a discount just for subscribing! Once you start receiving those emails, you’ll be more informed of future sales and promotions, so you’ll never have to shop full price again!

3. Student Discounts:
Use your school ID! Even if you don’t like the picture on your ID, you could receive up to 10% off. J. Crew will take 15% off your purchase for being a college student. What a steal! You’d be surprised how many places offer this student discount.

4. Think Outside the Mall: Don’t be afraid to shop at stores besides the mall. There are plenty of secondhand shops that sell designer items for way cheaper than the actual stores. Sometimes if you’re patient enough to look through every rack, you could find some really unique pieces!

5. Get More for your Money: Whoever said “Quality over quantity” was absolutely, positively, insanely correct. Instead of buying 5 cheap versions of the same shirt, find the same thing in a more durable fabric. Put in a couple extra buckaroos to make sure you look good. If you’re smart, you could use other coupons on top of this to get an even better deal!

6. Not-So-Extreme Couponing: Another smart idea is asking mom for some coupons (because after all she is the real coupon queen)! Sometimes Kohl’s offers 30% off purchases during different points in the year. 30% off is definitely much better than full price!

7. Clearance Clothes: Scan the clearance rack! Just because it’s on sale doesn’t mean it isn’t cute!

(Photo Source)

Alaine Perconti graduated from Miami University (OH) with degrees in Marketing and Journalism. She is the co-founder of the Miami (OH) Chapter and was President from 2011-2013. After graduation, Alaine moved to Cincinnati, OH where she works for a digital marketing agency and is an active volunteer for a local animal rescue. As an HC Alum, Alaine is now a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and is excited to be a positive influence and professional partner for CC's in her new role.