7 Tips for Sorority Rush at Miami U

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

It’s getting close to that time of year again ladies, and I don’t mean Christmas. That’s right, in about one month begins the best and worst two weeks of Greek life at Miami: Rush. While many of you have gone through the process of loud cheering and even louder talking, there are those of you out there who still have yet to experience rush at Miami. With the new changes to the schedule, we can expect a different atmosphere, but the key rules for being on your best rush behavior still apply. So here are my 7 best rush tips for the PNM’s and the active members as well.

1. R&R But Mostly R- Let’s face it, whether you are conducting the parties or attending them, the long hours of rush can wear on anyone involved. I cannot preach enough how important sleep is during these two weeks. While it may be hard to get a full 8 hours, do the best you can to not drink caffeine too late or start a movie in your room after parties. Any interrupted sleep will make you tired and not at your best the next day.

2. Green Tea and Ham- Tea is a girl’s best friend, and even more so during rush. Tea, caffeinated or regular, is a great way to soothe those vocal cords. I advise tea instead of coffee during rush, even though I’m a coffee addict, because it will help with a lost voice and keep you awake and caffeinated without damaging your pearly whites. Also ladies, give your body some TLC with the right food. Keeping a healthy diet will not only keep you energized, but also make you feel good and not sluggish.

3. Spray Don’t Lay- There is nothing like having a nice glow about you, especially in the winter, but please be careful when trying to keep your summer bronze alive (just don’t do it the day before a party, we all know how that turns out). When it comes to tanning, I advise a light spray tan to keep your color. Let’s be honest, it’s January and you’re not supposed to be that tan unless you were lucky enough to vacation south of the Tropic of Cancer.

4. Battle of the Bulge- I am the first person to admit that I gain the Holiday 5. Gaining a little weight around the holidays is natural, so my message to you is that if it’s too tight, it’s too tight. Nothing is worse than wearing too-tight clothing–it’s not flattering and you don’t want that to be your first impression. So ladies of all sizes, stick to things that have a good fit, and when in doubt, cute flowy tops always score big points.

5. Perfume Asphyxiation- One of the worst things any girl, rushing or recruiting, can do is wear too much perfume. Can you imagine being in a small room with 20% of the room having on too much perfume that is for some reason way too strong? Yes, I know, it sucks. Even talking to a girl with too much on can cause anyone to become distracted and not have a good conversation. The best thing to do if you must wear perfume is to pick something with a light and airy scent (no that does not mean anything Juicy or Victoria’s Secret) and stick to 2 sprays MAX.

6. Racks on Racks on Racks- This is by far the most important thing I am about to say to you all so read carefully. NO MATTER YOUR SIZE, KEEP YOUR BREASTS COVERED! This is something your GLG’s or rush chairs may have said time and time again, but it really is the most important detail. We are all girls and we really don’t want to have that all up in our faces. We are there to talk to you, not your cleavage, and it is immensely distracting. So if you want to wear something low necked, grab a camisole to keep it appropriate.

7. Smiles All Around- Rush is about having fun and starting the journey of the rest of your college career in Greek life. This process, while demanding, is so much fun in the end. The best weapon you have is to smile and have fun. Seeing someone who looks like they are enjoying themselves is a hell of a lot better than someone who looks like they don’t want to be there. So put your best foot forward and brightest smile on and it will all be worth it. 

Lizzie Miller is a Junior at Miami University. She is a Contributing Writer for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus."