courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

5 Things to Do on Family Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

It might seem like every restaurant will have a two hour wait this weekend, or that everything will be unaffordable just because parents will be here. But whether or not your family will be visiting this weekend, here are five fun (and cheap!) things to do with family or friends.

1. Oxford Farmer’s Market (Free to Enter, Free Coffee, Yoga, and Doughnuts)

From 8 am – 12 pm on Saturday, swing by the Farmer’s Market in Uptown at the intersection of Main and High Street. Vendors sell everything from organic veggies to beeswax candles to beautiful flower arrangements, perfect for bringing life to a dorm room or making a new apartment feel a little more like home. While you browse, enjoy a free coffee and doughnut. This is perfect for showing your family Uptown or for buying organic produce for a relaxing brunch with friends.

2. Sculpture Park (Free)

The Miami University Art Museum has a sculpture park located right around the indoor museum. Several 20th-century art movement influences can be found here, and it’s definitely worth checking out with friends or family.

3.  Hike-A-Thon Plus (Free)

Enjoy the beginning of fall while supporting a good cause: puppies! This hike supports “Paws for a Cause Miami”, and is accessible to beginning, intermediate, or experienced level hikers. There are many trail options, including a one-mile, three-mile, and five-mile options. This is a great way to explore the natural features of Oxford, with friends or family. The hikes will begin at 9 am at Miami University Natural Areas Trails on Saturday.

4. Family Weekend State (Free Admission, $3.50 Skate Rental)

Stop by from 3-5 pm Saturday for a free or cheap skate at Goggin Ice Center. If you haven’t been skating at Goggin yet, this is the perfect time to check it out. This event is open to family or for a fun afternoon with friends.

5.  M.O.V.E. Outdoor Bootcamp

Want a free t-shirt, snacks, a workout taught by Miami Fitness Instructors, and to see President Crawford? Come to Lewis Place at 10 am Saturday! This event is great to bring friends or family to.

Katelyn Hunt

Miami (OH) '21

Katelyn is a sophomore at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. She is a Diplomacy & Global Politics major and an Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies double minor. She enjoys anything related to Netflix, chocolate, and/or spending time with friends and family (preferably all three together). At Miami, she is involved with Mock Trial and College Democrats in addition to Her Campus. You can and should follow her on Twitter @katiehunt_5 for occasional funny/political tweets.