10 Tips to Lead a Healthier Lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Looking around the dining hall can be a little overwhelmin. Turn your head to the left and see chicken fingers, to the right and see pasta, and then over in the corner is a sinful-looking array of sweets. Mom is no longer around to remind us to eat our vegetables, drink our milk, and remember our fruits. The odds are stacked against us. If the dining halls aren’t intimidating enough, have you been to the rec? Do you even have time to excersize? 

It’s not as difficult as it may seem to stick to a healthy lifestyle on campus. Here are some of my tips for making healthy choices on campus:

In the dining halls

Tip #1: Make goal sheet
Set goals for yourself that fit your personal lifestyle, such as going to the gym twice a week, choosing whole wheat pasta over white pasta, and a having a vegetable least 3 nights of the week. Just one positive change can guide you to making more healthy choices in the dining hall.

Tip #2: 
Salad dressing
Some salad dressings are healthier than others! I hate to say this, because caesar is my favorite, but caesar dressing is one of the least healthy salad dressings out there. Choose the zesty, but naturally lower-calorie option of Italian dressing.

Tip #3: Look in the corners
Often the most prominent food-stands in the dining hall are pizza and pasta because they are the most popular. Take a look around! If you look at the less obvious stations, you can find a lot of healthy picks! One great item that most dining halls offer is a baked potato. Top this potato with broccoli and a modest amount of shredded cheddar cheese, and you have a great side dish!

[ pagebreak ]

Little changes that will make a big difference

Tip #4: Read between the lines
When reading a menu, there are often a few dishes that could easily be altered! For example, at La Mia Cucina, you can ask for a piece of salmon as an entrée rather than salmon over pasta! They also have some great veggies you could pair with the salmon as a side dish. 

Tip #5: A healthier diet doesn’t mean eating less often
It is not how often you eat, it is what you eat and the portion size! Dietitians say that eating eight small meals a day will keep you the most energized and healthy. These meals should include a protein (such as chicken breast), a vegetable (the darker the better), and a complex carbohydrate (whole grain bread).

Tip #6: Almost everything is good…..in small doses!
Being a healthy eater does not mean that you never eat pasta or pizza or fried food! Indulging in the foods you love is something that is good for the soul, but eating these foods too frequently is what can cause trouble! Keep portion and frequency in mind, but remember to treat yourself on occasion.

[ pagebreak ]

Hitting the gym

Tip #7: Enjoy your exercise!
It is proven that exercising by doing enjoyable activities allows you to make the most out of your workout! Take a dance class, play an intramural sport, or go for a jog around the campus; just get active and have fun!

Tip #8: You have more time than you might think!
Exercise does not take long, and there is often an hour or half-hour in your schedule where you could find time to workout!  When I find myself saying: “I don’t have time to workout,” I take a minute to remind myself that I just need to make time.

Tip #9: Switch up your workout
Our bodies adjust to the workouts we do… so try something new! Try something like wall sits or lunges on the track to spice up an old workout. Incorporating new exercises keeps our bodies guessing (which is great for working new muscle groups).

[ pagebreak ]

The most important advice

Tip #10: 
Be happy!
Happiness is the most important aspect to a healthy life. Keeping stress levels low and remembering to have fun is very important. The mind is just as much a factor in our health as the body! Remember to take care of both!

Morgan Weemhoff is a sophomore at Miami University. She is the Event Coordinator for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.
Alaine Perconti graduated from Miami University (OH) with degrees in Marketing and Journalism. She is the co-founder of the Miami (OH) Chapter and was President from 2011-2013. After graduation, Alaine moved to Cincinnati, OH where she works for a digital marketing agency and is an active volunteer for a local animal rescue. As an HC Alum, Alaine is now a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and is excited to be a positive influence and professional partner for CC's in her new role.