This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

Thanksgiving is a time for getting together with friends and family to celebrate what there is to be thankful for in life. That’s not the only thing Thanksgiving brings. The food is a main contender of the holiday, especially for those college students living off dorm snacks and undercooked dining hall chicken. Not to say that other parts of Thanksgiving aren’t the best, but who can turn down a day of eating great food? To get in the spirit of Thanksgiving here are my top five best Thanksgiving foods ranging from desserts, entrees, and side dishes. 

Starting at number five we have turkey. Turkey is a great option because it is on the healthier side and it is a good source of protein. If you’re looking for something tasty and filling turkey is where you’ll find it. Although it isn’t what we’d go for when we’re going up for seconds it makes Thanksgiving what Thanksgiving is and we have to give it that! 

Next is number four which would be sweet potatoes. You can never go wrong with sweet potatoes. They can be sweet which is a personal favorite or they can be savory which when made right can be super tasty. No matter what sweet potatoes will always be on my plate. The mix of flavors just brings out the taste of fall which is a must-have for this coming holiday. 

Up next is number three on the list which is stuffing. Stuffing can be a hit or miss but for me, it is a Thanksgiving hit. Stuffing is key to a Thanksgiving dinner and without it really would it be Thanksgiving? I believe that the stuffing baked separately from the turkey has an amazing flavor, but props to you if you make your stuffing inside the turkey. 

The second best food for Thanksgiving, it has to go to apple pie. When you think of apple pie you think of fall and Thanksgiving and that’s exactly what you need this holiday. This is a classic dessert that everyone you know will love. Although it may not be easy to make, I’ve never had an apple pie on Thanksgiving that wasn’t delicious. 

On the top of the list is an all-time favorite. Mashed potatoes are number one the best food on Thanksgiving day. This savory side dish will have you going up for seconds or even thirds. Potatoes themselves are an immediate favorite but mashed potatoes are top tier. The buttery taste and fluffiness of the mashed potatoes make you feel so comforted, just like how Thanksgiving should feel.

Taryn Lynch

Merrimack '25

I’m a Junior health science major with a biology minor!