This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

Whether you’re a football fan from birth and here for the gossip, or this is the first Super Bowl you’ve ever cared about and want to know more about the game, here is everything you need to know about the 2024 Super Bowl!

Super Bowl 58 is being played between the San Francisco 49ers and the Kansas City Chiefs in Las Vegas. This is a rematch from 2020, where the Chiefs beat the 49ers 31-20.

If you’re here for the stats:

1. Swifties will know the Chiefs because of Taylor’s famous tight-end boyfriend, but this is the Chiefs’ second trip to the Super Bowl in two years. However, they are a bit of an underdog this year, having had a slump (for them) in the middle of the season. 
  2. The 49ers haven’t won the Super Bowl since 1995, but they only lost five games this season and are a powerhouse. They have 9 Pro Bowl nominees (the Pro Bowl is the NFL’s version of the all-star game, which Super Bowl players do not attend) led by George Kittle, who is also a tight end. 
  3. The Chiefs have been struggling on offense this season, but the 49ers defense is not their strongest asset. The 49ers have a star-studded offense, which will compete for points scoring against the Chiefs run game and the Kelce-Mahomes connection. 
  4. The 49ers quarterback, Brock Purdy, is only in his second year. He was drafted dead last in the 2022 draft, a pick titled Mr. Irrelevant. Purdy has since blown his expectations away in a comeback story bringing him from that last pick to the NFC championship (best in their conference) in one season. The Chiefs quarterback, Patrick Mahomes, was the league MVP in his second season, which was in 2018, and then won the Super Bowl in 2020 against the 49ers and again last year against the Eagles. Mahomes has much more experience than Purdy, but Purdy’s trajectory is following Mahomes’. In the Kittle vs Kelce head-to-head, Kittle has been coming out ahead since Kelce’s season this year has had a little less impact than he did last year. 
  5. The Chiefs are the underdog, but not by much. It will come down to experience, and the 49ers’ ability to shut down Kelce and the Chief’s run game versus the all-star offensive power that Purdy is surrounded by being able to get through the Chief’s defense.

If you’re here for the gossip:

1. Taylor Swift will be in Tokyo for her concerts before the game, but thanks to the magic of private planes and time zones she’ll be able to make it with plenty of time.
  2. Brittany Mahomes, perhaps football’s most disliked wife, has gotten herself in trouble with fans and media again for her negative attitude. She was seen being rude to a stadium worker recently but has also been very outspoken about disrespect towards her new BFF Taylor.
  3. Kristin Juszczyk, wife of San Francisco 49ers fullback Kyle Juszczyk, is the NFL’s new up-and-coming fashion designer, making fan gear for many celebrities, including Simone Biles, T Swift, and others.
  4. The cheapest ticket to the Super Bowl is upwards of $8,000 this year, and to sit in a suite is 2.5 million dollars. 
  5. Olivia Culpo, model and 2012 Miss USA, is engaged to 49ers running back Christian McCaffrey and purchased a suite for his mother after the player expressed that the suites were too expensive for him.
susanna langan

Merrimack '25

Finance major at Merrimack College in Massachusetts