Stars Utilizing Their Status at Oscars 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

Award recipients at the 87th annual Oscars were doing a lot more than thanking the academy this year. Several celebrities used their fame to make a statement—and I don’t just mean a fashion statement. Many of the stars used this year’s Academy Awards ceremony as an opportunity to advocate for social change.

One of the big movements at this year’s Oscars was the #AskHerMore Twitter campaign. Thought it’s pretty much inevitable that the stars, decked out in gorgeous designer gowns, will be asked “Who are you wearing?” they deserve to be asked about more than just their outfit. Many of the stars supported the campaign, urging reporters to ask the female celebrities less shallow questions and get to the heart of the matter.

Reese Witherspoon was among the members of the movement, posting a photo featuring this quote on Instagram to show her support for the #AskHerMore campaign:

• “What’s the biggest risk you’ve taken that you feel has paid off? What accomplishment are you most proud of? What potential do filmmakers and characters have to make change in the world? If you could play any character in any movie, who would it be? What’s your favorite show? #AskHerMore

Other supporters included Emma Watson, Amy Poehler, and even Steve Carell, who sported #HeForShe cufflinks in support of the campaign.

In addition to taking to Twitter, celebs also used their acceptance speeches as an opportunity to affect change. Patricia Arquette kept the feminist momentum going with her acceptance speech for the best supporting actress Oscar. She focused on the issue of equal pay for women.

Racism was also a particularly popular at this year’s Academy Awards; John Legend and Common addressed the issue of the incarceration of black men in America as they accepted their Oscar for best music. Upon accepting the award for best picture, Birdman director Alejandro G. Inarritu addressed immigration and treatment of Mexican immigrants

Among other important speeches were Julianne Moore’s speech on the treatment of people with Alzheimer’s, Eddie Redmayne’s speech on ALS, and Graham Moore’s moving speech on suicide.

It’s safe to say that this year’s Academy Awards will be remembered for a lot more than the films and the dresses. Celebrities are finally realizing that their fame can be used for a lot more than money and magazine covers. If the stars continue to advocate for issue they’re passionate about, hopefully positive change will ensue. 

Rachel DeYoung is a junior at Merrimack College pursuing a degree in Business Marketing with a minor in Mass Communications. This is her third year as a member of the Her Campus Merrimack College chapter where she assumes the role of Campus Correspondent. You can follow her on Instagram (rdeyoung)