This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

Ash Wednesday has just recently passed, and with this many students are looking for items to give up during the forty days of lent. As Merrimack College is a Christian school, many students participate in this act. This sacrifice is to be made in honor of Jesus sacrificing his life for our sins. However, students should stop thinking about items that they can give up, and should more so figure out how they may better their lives.

If one is to ask most students on campus what they plan on giving up for Lent, common answers tend to be chocolate, junk food, chips, etc. But the question must be asked to these answers, how is this benefitting others? Or even yourself? Instead of giving up various items that have little significance in one’s lives, student’s should consider doing things that will benefit themselves along with others around them.

Some ideas that students could implement during Lent include:

• Being less judgemental towards others

• Giving out genuine compliments to others

• Volunteer a few hours each week

• Develop and share a positive attitude around campus

• Attempt to do a good deed everyday

• Get in touch with an old friend, and keep in touch with them

• Get out and make new friends

The possibilities are endless on what students can do during Lent instead of giving up something that means little to most people. By doing these acts, people are able to see that their lives are improving and they are happier as they make others happy.

Brooke is a Merrimack College graduate with a passion for news. Few things get her more excited than racing around a newsroom, helping develop breaking stories. Her goal is to help make the world a better place through the art of journalism. You can often find her exploring the Boston-area with a smile on her face.