An Inside Look into Joining Sorority Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

An anonymous Sorority Sister at Merrimack College has provided us with a look into what joining a sorority meant to her, her experiences with recruitment, and what her sorority means to her. If you’re interested in joining Greek Life at Merrimack College she what she has to say about sororities. Each sorority on campus provided who they are and where you can meet them this week during Greek Recruitment Week! 

When you hear the word “Sorority,” what is it that you think? Drinking? Partying? Braiding a fellow sister’s hair and talking about weekend hook ups? Do you think of movies that portray sorority women as stupid and without a care in the world? 

Well, that’s sort of what I thought, and guess what … I’m in a Sorority. My parents were against it, my sisters (by blood) thought it was a joke, but I was totally into it from the moment I walked into my first recruitment session. 

To feel completely welcomed into a group of women is an amazing feeling, especially when you weren’t considered popular in high school. My last year of high school I spent more time alone than I did with my peers, all because a “Mean Girl,” we’ll call her, decided she didn’t like me anymore.  

I went to the recruitment info session with a friend, she didn’t want to go alone and wasn’t sure if she wanted to join, I went because … why not? I had no interest, whatsoever. But when I walked into that room, the prettiest girls I’ve ever seen all wanted to know my name and get to know me. It was the best feeling in the world; and whenever I saw them on campus and they said “Hey” and used my name too, it made me feel like as if they wanted to know me still. 

I went back to other recruitment events and the more I got to know the girls, their experiences, and the sororities philanthropy, the more I knew I wanted to be apart of the sorority. But it was a bit nerve wracking because you don’t really pick the sorority, the sorority picks you. 

And by that I mean is when a sorority extends an invitation to you, they call it a “Bid.” I knew what day they were giving out bids for my sorority and I was getting ready for class, wondering if I got one or not. Then all of a sudden mine arrived! Let’s just say it was the best way to start the day. 

That morning I knew it was not only going to be a good day, but also a good decision. Deciding to accept my bid was one of the best decisions I ever made. From that moment I have been a part of something much bigger than myself. My sorority sisters and I work towards a cause, we raise awareness and money to donate to our philanthropy, but best of all we support each other as well. 

When someone needs a hand, there’s many hands to lend. When someone needs a shoulder to cry on, there are many shoulders available. Or when when you need someone to listen, there are a whole lot of pairs of ears ready. 

Being in a sorority is more than having letters stitched to your chest. It’s about being a part of a community that not only helps others, but each other. We do our best to follow our sorority’s ideals and live up to what we think is our Founder’s standards. 

The experiences I have had at my time at Merrimack College being in a sorority has been overwhelmingly positive. There are moments that you have that will be remembered forever, and whenever you look back on those moments you will only be able to smile. 

Those stereotypes that people make up about sororities … completely false; at least in all my experiences they have been the complete opposite. The movies are not reality, it’s something you need to see for yourself. 

If you’re wondering what being a part of a sisterhood is like, I completely urge you to at least go to a recruitment event! Meet the women you could someday call your sisters and get to know them. If you’re interested in a certain sorority, let them know so you can hang out with them and see if it’s the right fit for you. 

Here at Merrimack, we’ve got three sororities on campus: Alpha Sigma Tau, Theta Phi Alpha, and Zeta Tau Alpha. Each sorority has recruitment events coming up and here’s a little insight to each sorority to see if any catch your eye! 

Want to be part of something special? Join Alpha Sigma Tau! Alpha Sigma Tau is an amazing sisterhood that was founded in 1899 by eight remarkable women.  Throughout the years our sisterhood has grown to more than 90 chapters across the country. Our national philanthropy is Pine mountain settlement school in Kentucky which focuses on environmental education.  We also help support habitat for humanity which prides itself on building “simple, decent, and affordable housing.”  The Merrimack chapter of Alpha Sigma Tau was founded in 2001.  We support our national philanthropies through holding fundraisers throughout the year.  Our biggest event is our Founder’s day celebration during which we hold a raffle of which all the proceeds are donated to our philanthropies.   Regular sisterhood events are a huge part of our chapter and help us stay connected with each other.  In the past we have gone mini golfing, shopping and going out to dinner!  

Our recruitment events this fall are:

We will be decorating cupcakes and holding a special open ritual so you can see all aspects of sorority life.  We look forward to seeing you there!

Tuesday, September 24th 7-8 in St. Thomas Community Room

The first chapter of Theta Phi Alpha was established at the University of Michigan in 1912. 

The Mission of Theta Phi Alpha is “to create close comradeship, to advance educational, social and philanthropic interests and leadership training; to encourage spiritual development and adherence to the highest moral standards; and to promote lifelong bonds of friendship.”

Philanthropy: Hunger and Homelessness

Official Colors: silver, gold, and blue

Official Jewels: the sapphire and the pearl

Official Symbol: the compass

Official Mascot: the penguin

Recruitment Dates: 

Tuesday, September 24th 8 – 9 pm in the O’Brien kitchen

Thursday, September 26th 8 – 9 pm in the Monican foyer.

Zeta Tau Alpha Fraternity is one of the largest National Sorority’s in the country. It was founded in 1898 at Longwood University in Farmville, VA. Over 200,000 women have been initiated into the Fraternity! Zeta Tau Alpha stands by their motto, “Love is the Greatest of All things,” through the support of it’s philanthropy. Zeta’s philanthropy is Breast Cancer Awareness and Education. We are very lucky to partner with with many Nationally known organizations for our “Think Pink” philanthropy. Yopliat, Susan G Komen Race for the Cure, the NFL, .and Zeta’s “Pink Out, Think pink. Think Zeta.” Zeta Tau Alpha at Merrimack volunteers at The Race for the Cure in Boston, holds a Pink Out Week on Campus, and hosts an annual Think Pink Auction every spring. Last year we raised $12,000 for Breast Cancer Awareness and Education. 

The sisters of Zeta Tau Alpha would love to meet you on: 

Wednesday, September 25th 7:30-8:30 in Cascia Hall

Thursday, September 26th 6-7 in Cascia Hall 

When this fun-loving sorority girl isn't hitting the books or helping plan a ZTA event, she's constantly on the go. As if being a commuter student isn't enough, Joanna is working part-time at a bank, is a member of the executive committee in her sorority, and is working to set up several clubs on campus. When Joanna's got a spare minute to herself, if there is any time to spare, she enjoys eating sushi, attempting to speak German with her friend, cuddling with her Golden Retriever, Dobby, and ordering venti non-fat chai lattes [one of her many downfalls.]