HYPE Fashion Show: Boston Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

After all the buzz about New York, Paris and other fashion weeks, this past week was Boston fashion week. Lucky for us in the Boston area these smaller scale shows allow local fashion lovers to experience a piece of the glamour and excitement of fashion week for reasonable prices.

Friday October 10th, the Beacon Photography Studio in Winthrop was host to the 2014 HYPE fashions show, and with everything from boutique clothing to pea coats to avant garde hair and makeup to a former Americas Next top Model contestant, this event was a hit.     

Split into three segments, the first set was pieces from HYPE fashions owner Sarah Roth-Oosten’s Winthrop Boutique “La Petite Boutique.”

This portion of the show contained among other styles, a really interesting mix of textures, whether it be in the combination of pants and a top, the pairing of a light sweater with the contrasting materials of the belt and clutch or the smooth leather like center of the dress below with the combination of the lace boddice and flowy black lace pants and bold statement necklace.

Though that was clearly a trend in this section, there was a great variety of styles from casual to formal and while the looks shown here are all neutrals there were a few colorful pieces like a draped magenta one shoulder floor length dress and a royal blue fitted cockail dress.

The second segment was a collection of pea coats from Sterlingwear Boston. Not only did this collection contain great idea for styling all lengths of pea coats (very helpful for the upcoming holiday season) but had a few unique takes on the traditional look.                           

The two that really stood out were this cape coat styled with leggings and pink scarf and (my personal favorite) this sleek hooded pea coat. 

Lastly and certainly the most eye catching was a set of looks by Ukrainian Designer, Veronica Tyupova. The avant-garde makeup and hair was definitely the first thing that caught everyones eye but the clever pairing of gorgeous floor length skirts, interesting long sleeve tops and statement necklaces could certainly be a fall fashion inspiration for anyone looking to take their maxi skirts into this colder weather.

The HYPE fashion show for Fashion Week Boston was such a fun, low-key event that brought together several different designers and had the unique touch of bringing fashion week to the hometown of organizer Sarah Roth-Oosten in a unique and intimate venue. Also on display for guests were gorgeous Couture Planet bags and Stella & Dot jewelry. A HUGE highlight for myself was the fact that former America’s Next Top Model Contestant Bianca Golden walked in the show.

If you are able to attend any fashion week event I highly recommend it. It’s a great way to have a fun night out in Boston, wear something that you may not otherwise dare to try and get a little taste of this time of year when fashion shows are in full swing all over the world.

I'm Brenna McDonald, a sophomore at Merrimack college who loves hair & makeup. Follow brennamcdonalddesigns on instagram to see a little more about what I love to do! 
Rachel DeYoung is a junior at Merrimack College pursuing a degree in Business Marketing with a minor in Mass Communications. This is her third year as a member of the Her Campus Merrimack College chapter where she assumes the role of Campus Correspondent. You can follow her on Instagram (rdeyoung)