This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

Thanksgiving is over and it’s almost Christmas which means finals are right around the corner. Finals time can be the most stressful part of college, that’s why I’m here to share some of my favorite study tips for finals week. I’m gonna give my top five study tips that I have acquired from being in college so far and that have saved me during finals week. 

First up is to take breaks. It can be very easy to get a groove on your studying and you forget that you have been going at it for hours. Take a break, even if it’s just a quick one. This is so beneficial and can help clear your mind. Taking a break isn’t going to mess up your study pattern so no need to worry about that. 

The next tip is not to procrastinate. This is way easier said than done, but when it comes to finals week you don’t have the time to procrastinate. Get ahead by starting to study the material slowly a few weeks before. This way you can work at it a little bit each day until it’s time for the final. I get it that procrastinating is easy but when it comes to studying sooner is better. 

The next tip is to take each piece of material a little bit at a time. Start from the top and relearn everything over again by teaching it to yourself a little bit at a time. One day focus on the first chapter and then the next day you can move on to the next. This is a great way to stay organized while studying and to ensure you get everything learned for the final. 

This next one might be the most important tip which is to put your phone down. Your phone is fine to use when you are taking your break but otherwise, while you study having it out is just going to distract you. Your phone isn’t going to help you remember things faster nor is it going to help you study better so you might as well put it away. Again it’s easier said than done because even I spend every minute on my phone but putting it away has helped me tremendously. 

The last and final tip for studying during finals week is to get sleep. You can’t learn anything if you are sleep deprived and that’s a fact. This goes along with not procrastinating, if you start early on then you won’t need to stay up late to study and instead you can catch some z’s. Getting a good night’s sleep before the exam will be super beneficial as well.

Taryn Lynch

Merrimack '25

I’m a Junior health science major with a biology minor!