Do You Agree With Jordan?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

On February 12th, Merrimack students gathered into the school’s den to listen to a mysterious speech, one that no one knew what it was truly about. For a month, there had been green flyers around and certain students wearing t-shirts that said “I Agree With Jordan.” The advertising for this speech left for a curious audience wanting to know what was going to be said.

As students and other spectators walked into the den, they all took seats in front of a mock stage consisting of one microphone. The audience consisted of over a hundred people, eager to hear the words from Merrimack College’s own hockey defensive player, Jordan Heywood. 

He opened up his speech explaining what we had all been waiting to hear. Athletes in Action, a club on campus and a well-known organization, had made this event in order to share the words of Jesus Christ and how he helps us throughout our lives. This organization is for athletes and non-athletes alike who worship Jesus and want to connect his spirit with the college campus.

After the explanation on why we had all come to this event, Jordan began to share his story to the crowd, expressing how Jesus had entered his own life and helped him through the struggles that he encountered. He bravely expressed to the audience about the two blood clots that he had, one that had traveled from his leg to his lung while in junior hockey and another that had formed in his body right before his first year of Merrimack College.

He expressed that during these two times, Jesus had been looking out for him. The first blood clot that he had had stayed in his body for a month, breaking many odds as he somehow survived with this in his body. The second blood clot, for Jordan, came at an acceptable time as he prayed to God before he went to college to help him stay away from temptations that came with the college experience. As he was put on blood thinners, he was not able to consume alcohol or go out and party, a pleasing to Jordan as he did not want those temptations in his life.

He finished off his courageous speech with how God and Jesus had helped him through these tough times, and continues to guide him in his way of life. He exclaimed his love for them both and invited everyone to Augie’s Pub to worship their presences. 

Once the speech concluded, the audience erupted with clapping and praise for Jordan’s courageousness with sharing his story and the rest of the members of Athletes in Action for pulling off such a successful event. Through this, they have gathered more members that are excited to embrace God and Jesus and worship all that they do for us each day.

Brooke is a Merrimack College graduate with a passion for news. Few things get her more excited than racing around a newsroom, helping develop breaking stories. Her goal is to help make the world a better place through the art of journalism. You can often find her exploring the Boston-area with a smile on her face.