Celebration of Light and Hope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

The holidays have come, a time when we should all be thankful.  At Merrimack, we recognize the importance of the holidays.

On December 3rd, Merrimack College held their annual Celebration of Light and Hope at the Rogers Center for the Arts.  Many students and faculty, along with outside visitors came to witness the spectacle that was about to take place.

The program started with Christmas songs sung by the school’s choir.  Then Father opened the ceremony with a prayer.  He reminded us that we should be thankful for the light that Christmas brings during the dark months of the year.  

Then Hanukkah was recognized, which started about a week prior to this event.  The menorah was lit, and a hymn was read in both Hebrew and English.

After the small celebration of both holidays, Chris Hopey, the president of Merrimack College, said a few words, thanking everyone for coming.  He then allowed all the young children to come and press one large button, which would light up the even larger tree that sat outside the Rogers Center.  As they pressed this button, the tree shined so bright with many “ooh and ahh reactions” from the crowd.  

Everyone ended the night by taking pictures of the beautiful tree and reflecting on how magical the holidays truly are.

Brooke is a Merrimack College graduate with a passion for news. Few things get her more excited than racing around a newsroom, helping develop breaking stories. Her goal is to help make the world a better place through the art of journalism. You can often find her exploring the Boston-area with a smile on her face.