This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

Imagine waking up in a hospital without any memory of what happened to you or how you got there.

The last thing 17-year-old Hunter Gifford remembers is attending homecoming with his girlfriend, Chloe. When he woke up in a hospital surrounded by cops questioning him, he had no idea what happened. He learned quickly that he had been in a bad car accident and his girlfriend who was in the car with him was missing, leaving behind all of her personal belongings in the passenger seat of the car. The police had no idea where Chloe was or how Hunter got to the hospital– which was more than 5 miles away from the crash– but it was not long until Hunter quickly becomes a person of interest, as he was the last one to see her. 

Hunter was then faced with not only the entire police station questioning him and believing he had something to do with Chloe’s disappearance, but the entire town believing that too. Hunter and his family were constantly harassed and berated by his fellow classmates and town members as he tried to investigate what had happened to Chloe and who may have done this to her…because he couldn’t have done it, right?

The first half of the book is not necessarily slow, but nothing out of the ordinary or shocking happens as the author illustrates to the readers what has happened and what Hunter is going through. However once at the halfway mark of the book, there were many jaw-dropping, gasping-out-loud moments and I couldn’t put the book down. I can confidently say that I didn’t expect this book to end the way it did, but I am not disappointed at all. 

I am a criminology major and mystery books, especially ones about crimes have always interested me, so if you are a true-crime book lover or love mystery books filled with plot twists, then this book is for you.  

Jenny Fogle

Merrimack '24

I am a senior at Merrimack College studying Criminal Justice and Criminology. I hope to someday work in a forensics lab. In my free time, I enjoy reading, spending time with my friends, and cooking.