This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

Eve Babitz was an author, creative, and basically just a famous, hot girl in LA. She is known for dating lots of celebrities and writing books including Eve’s Hollywood, Slow Days Fast Company, Sex and Rage, and Black Swans Stories. 

In Black Swans Stories, Babitz goes from vividly describing her roaring twenties to her older years, living in Los Angeles, and being sober. The stories all take place between the 1980s to the early 1990s. The characters, although fleeting, are perfectly fleshed out and developed– which is especially difficult in a book of short stories. Her talent is clear as she gets the reader invested in a character in only 20-page short stories. 

Last year, I was in a reading slump and a lovely girl at Barnes and Noble told me that Black Swan Stories is a great way to get out of it. It is short and sweet, and more of a no-plot-just-vibes book, which I personally love. A book of short stories is always a perfect way to get out of a rut because it is quick-paced and constantly changing. Although there isn’t a plot line throughout the stories, Babitz covers important and serious topics, as well as more fun things like celebrity gossip and learning to tango. Throughout the stories, you see Babitz mature and find herself in the stories wherein the next is as exciting as the previous. They highlight the glamor, drama, romance, and history of Hollywood and celebrities. 

As someone who is passionate about writing and reading, I loved this book because she discusses her writing process inside of the book which is something I have not seen to much of before. 

She goes over her journey as a writer within the context of these engaging stories, and she talks about other pieces of writing being published at the time of the stories. Overall, I would suggest everyone to read this, but especially anyone interested in the recent past, writing, or who wants to get back into reading. 

Addison Molloy

Merrimack '25

I am a junior at Merrimack College studying Communications and Media with a minor in English. My passions include writing, reading, and skiing. My favorite books are Beach Read by Emily Henry and Black Swan Stories by Eve Babitz. I hope to one day be able to write my own book! On campus my other involvements are Zeta Tau Alpha, Green Team, Relay for Life, Book Club, and The Office of Student Involvement.