This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

For those who don’t know Bev Lavallee, her warm heart and ability to bring a smile to ones face is universal. Having been at Merrimack College since 2007, Bev works in the office of the Vice President of Mission and Student Affairs, and is an essential part to the Merrimack Community. Referring to herself as “the weed that pops up everywhere on campus”; I think not so much a weed, but rather a sunflower that you encounter and cannot help but smile at. She adores the sports at Merrimack. If it has to do with students, she loves it all.

Not only does Bev work with Mission and Student Affairs, she is the advisor for Zeta Tau Alpha and volunteers her time at Merrimack’s events such as homecoming, commencement, and directing traffic on move-in day. Participating in move-in day is one of Bev’s favorite ways to welcome new students to the Merrimack Community. With her sense of humor in tact, it is no wonder that Bev brings a smile to all those she encounters.

One of Merrimack College’s best-kept secrets is M.O.R.E, Merrimack Out Reach Experience, while the contents of the trip are a secret, going on the retreat is a life changing experience. I first met Bev on a M.O.R.E. weekend, and as Bev disclosed first hand, it is one of Merrimack’s greatest weekends.

Bev always has her door open to those who need it. When one enters her office, they will immediately notice not only the best candy jar on campus, but also an awesome rubber duck collection. This collection started when Bev used to teach Pre-K and it continues to grow. Various friends have added to her assortment, a duck with a cowboy hat from Texas, another with a Statue of Liberty hat, and countless others with crowns on them.

Outside of the Merrimack Community, Bev volunteers her time at The Shriners Hospital, a burn victims unit, working with the patients first hand. In 1991, Bev will tell you, “back when the dinosaurs roamed” she acquired a Masters in Finance from Suffolk University, and is also a Registered Pharmacy Technician (RPhT). When asked what her proudest accomplishment is, Bev responded acquiring her Masters degree and raising a family as her greatest accomplishments. As a testament to her character, one needs to look no further then to the son she raised. Bev’s son is a Business Management Major with a concentration in Hospital Management at Curry College. Bev emphasizes she is proud of the truly good man he has turned into.

As we crown Bev Lavallee this weeks Campus Celebrity, she would like to offer the following advice to the new freshman class: “get involved on campus! College is a place where you make your own experiences and wishes happen. You get out of something what you put into it.” One such way to get involved: Mack Gives Back November 10, 2012. If you have any questions about it ask Bev for details!